Red Head Cichlid (Paraneetroplus synspilus)

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
20170514_015605.jpg 20170514_021148.jpg 20170514_015203.jpg

I haven't posted in quite some time, so hello again fellow MFKers!

I've finally thinned down my synspila growouts down to this guy right here. I had a healthy batch of red head fry growing out for quite some time, but as they got bigger I thinned them down to keep up with the tank load. I had originally planned to continually post to a growout thread here but I just got busy and didn't really have the time. You can see this specific batch of fry this guy came from here:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/synspilum-growouts.661945/

Anyways, when it would come time to thin the tank down, the bigger ones were always the first to go. So this guy right here is indeed a slow grower, but now that he's all shacked up by himself he's put some size on and recently started to show more color.

I'm guessing its a male because of the color coming through but I'm no quite sure. What do you all think?

Video Here:

Reactions: tlindsey

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Just looked at the old thread definitely not Vieja melanura/ synspilum the lateral line only extends 25% of the body on vieja's. Paratheraps sp extends over 50%.

Reactions: cichlidfish

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The dark blotch above the lateral line, is also one of the major factors that suggest bifacsiata. (a Hybridization could of course skew that all to hell)

I believe the same DNA research that has combined melanura and synspillum has also placed them, and bifasciata back in the genus Vieja.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I thought Vieja now consisted of melanura and maculicauda with bifasciatus still in Paratheraps or am I out of date.

Reactions: cichlidfish

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I thought Vieja now consisted of melanura and maculicauda with bifasciatus still in Paratheraps or am I out of date.
My understanding is its still undecided and depends on your view. To me they are veija.taxonamy is not an exact science, just an opinion really.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
IMO it's been tough keeping up with this.

So many changes. I found this. Could be out of date too. Not sure.

IMG_3851.PNG

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Oh wow, and here I've been thinking they were synspila/melanura. The different names were a bit confusing. Im new to this genus of cichlid.

lateral line only extends 25% of the body on vieja's. Paratheraps sp extends over 50%.
So is this the only difference between synspila and bifasciata? When I google the two the pictures look nearly identical to me lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store