Red Texas Female Short Body Gene?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Really? I thought it would require a large amount of culling and selective breeding over a long period of time, but I just wanted to make sure.
Nope just like JSpilo said that would take genetic engineering. Your trying to accomplish something that would take at the very least a hundred years if not thousands to be complete. Think of it this way, flowerhorns and blood parrots are hybrids but it took decades to even make the first one of each and it took decades longer to get them to the point they are now. FH's are still at the point where you can have 2 of the same gender and specie while still looking totally different from one another. Evolution can happen fast but not without a good reason for it. Take lungfish for example, nature found something that worked millions of years ago and it may have twerked the design a lil but over all this time we still have the same basic anatomy as their prehistoric ancestors, it's kind of why they are called "living fossils", but the only reason they didn't change much was just because why change something if it still works.

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Nope just like JSpilo said that would take genetic engineering. Your trying to accomplish something that would take at the very least a hundred years if not thousands to be complete. Think of it this way, flowerhorns and blood parrots are hybrids but it took decades to even make the first one of each and it took decades longer to get them to the point they are now. FH's are still at the point where you can have 2 of the same gender and specie while still looking totally different from one another. Evolution can happen fast but not without a good reason for it. Take lungfish for example, nature found something that worked millions of years ago and it may have twerked the design a lil but over all this time we still have the same basic anatomy as their prehistoric ancestors, it's kind of why they are called "living fossils", but the only reason they didn't change much was just because why change something if it still works.
Oh, oh well, if only it was a simple as I hoped it was. The reason I wanted to do this was because I like both short bodies and regular ones and I thought it would be useful for breeding because it would be easier to make smaller hiding places so it would be easier to stop the male from getting to the female and hurting her.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Wouldnt require genetic engineering but you would have to find a sex linked variation of the shortbody trait. Its possible but not likely.
You will almost always get both shortbody and regular fry from a spawn of shorbodies.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Wouldnt require genetic engineering but you would have to find a sex linked variation of the shortbody trait. Its possible but not likely.
You will almost always get both shortbody and regular fry from a spawn of shorbodies.
What I planned on doing was not breeding/culling any male shortbodies/female normalbodies(Of course I wouldn't cull them if they fade or are fertile, but they wouldn't be used in the project.) I thought that would work, but to be honest JSpilo and Magnus_Bane are probably right, but at the same time I've never heard of anyone trying it so who knows, although it is very unlikely it might work.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
It would. To have specifically short bodied females and regular length males in each spawn, that would require genetic engineering. Unless you spawn them hundreds of thousands of times and by some random chance all the females are short bodied and males are regular length. Or you can alter each egg genetically.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Or you can chance upon a sex linked variation of the shortbody mutation as I said before. It is possible.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store