Rock Bass Laid Eggs. What Do I Do?

Smidget

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2017
Well i accidentally managed to breed rock bass in my 29 gallon tank. Before you rant that 29 gallons isn't enough for 2 rock bass i know that i had put my female rock bass in there as a temporary thing because my bigger tank hadn't arrived yet. Anyways i came home one day to a pile of fertilized eggs in between a rock and the glass in my tank. I wasn't really expecting that to happen and i have no clue how to move them. I'm totally willing to raise them i just wanna know how to move them to a breeding tank because they aren't like other "Aquarium" fish eggs. I would post a picture but i honestly don't have anything to take pictures with. EDIT: I realized i put this in the wrong topic probably

Reactions: Cu455

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If the parents are fanning the eggs you can wait
till the fry are swimming then just siphon them out with a hose. I have used a turkey baster to suck up fry before as well.

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

Smidget

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2017
If the parents are fanning the eggs you can wait
till the fry are swimming then just siphon them out with a hose. I have used a turkey baster to suck up fry before as well.
That could work! The thing is though the male isn't fanning the eggs as much as he probably should. I only see him relatively near them occasionally. They're definitely fertilized though! I think he's gotten lax ever since i introduced him here and he knows there's nothing to screw with him.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Most times it's only the female that tends to the eggs. The male usually will just keep a watchful eye out

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

Smidget

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2017
Most times it's only the female that tends to the eggs. The male usually will just keep a watchful eye out
Alright thanks man! I'll report news when they hatch. I think ill temporarily move the fry to a 10 gallon until i get some more big tanks... oh rock bass you chose the wrong time to do this but i don't wanna kill your babies!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well i accidentally managed to breed rock bass in my 29 gallon tank. Before you rant that 29 gallons isn't enough for 2 rock bass i know that i had put my female rock bass in there as a temporary thing because my bigger tank hadn't arrived yet. Anyways i came home one day to a pile of fertilized eggs in between a rock and the glass in my tank. I wasn't really expecting that to happen and i have no clue how to move them. I'm totally willing to raise them i just wanna know how to move them to a breeding tank because they aren't like other "Aquarium" fish eggs. I would post a picture but i honestly don't have anything to take pictures with. EDIT: I realized i put this in the wrong topic probably

I personally would leave them be until they hatched and free swimming.

Reactions: Boomer1224
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store