Sign a petition to legalize Asian Arowana in the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
The confiscated fish will likely be destroyed and the offender will face heavy fines and possibly jail time and with their strict breeding requirements I doubt that the fish possibly becoming invasives is a concern to the authorities.
Sounds pretty harsh. I dident know they were such finicky breeders.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds pretty harsh. I dident know they were such finicky breeders.
Yep,I'm not exactly sure which conditions they need but there have been very few successful breedings outside of Asia.....unlike some snakehead species for example,which seem to be able to breed in toilets!

Reactions: Adictd2Fsh

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I don't know how true it is but I've read that Asian Arowana have very sensitive magnetic detectors (I think related to their lateral line system) and will usually only breed (at least on larger scales) within a very narrow magnetic band near the equator. This is why China, even with a huge and well developed aquaculture industry, can't breed and sell them, they get all their Asian Aros from SEA.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A few people have bred them in tanks, one member here had it happen. Can't remember the name now, and whether the eggs hatched is another story. For the foreseeable future all Asian arowana will be sourced from farms as re-implanting populations has way too much yellow tape to easily be feasible.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
We won! Asian Aro is now legal!*

*In Canada!
LOL.

On a related note, I consider myself somewhat regular to this forum, and this is probably the second time on come to this area. I didn't even know we had this petition going on LOL.

Reactions: Matteus

fahaka30331

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
atl
from what I see discussed on facebooks they have ponds with thousands and thousands of those animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store