Bastián oc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2019
Hello, I'm new to this forum.
I have a 125g tank that currently houses a jack Jack Dempsey. I would like to stock it with other cichlids, I tried adding my firemouth wich is the same size as the JD but they fought too much so I removed him. I've decided to add multiple cichlids at once to reduce agression. I would like to have only one specimen for every species that I add to reduce the risks of them pairing up ( I know that hybrids can happen but at least I minimize the risks). What would you add to this list :
-1 JD
-1 firemouth

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Hello, I'm new to this forum.
I have a 125g tank that currently houses a jack Jack Dempsey. I would like to stock it with other cichlids, I tried adding my firemouth wich is the same size as the JD but they fought too much so I removed him. I've decided to add multiple cichlids at once to reduce agression. I would like to have only one specimen for every species that I add to reduce the risks of them pairing up ( I know that hybrids can happen but at least I minimize the risks). What would you add to this list :
-1 JD
-1 firemouth
I think, that you will learn the hard way that C.A cichlids are hard to mix. I learned the hard way too, I imagine most people do. I thought my 120G was huge and could have a mix in but it became a war zone and a lot of nice fish were injured. I did add a lot of small fish together but 1 salvini became dominant and hassled all the rest.
I'm just about to set up a firemouth colony in it. I would suggest getting rid of the J.D and getting more firemouths or getting rid of the firemouth and having a J.D solo with some dithers. Possibly adding more cover like rocks and plants will help but as I said I learned the hard way.
It's annoying when it doesn't work out and there are exceptions but after reading a lot of old posts here you will realise how much space these fish actually need and how territorial they are. If you really want to mix cichlids try the South American species as they are more chilled and get along a lot better.
Good luck with whichever way you go.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Maybe try to introduce the firemouth and a convict at the same time. Keep a divider handy in case it gets too rough.

Hard to say though, jf your JD is particularly nasty and already pretty large, he may not share the tank with any other cichlids.

If it was me, i would consider a group of clown loaches.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
There are challenges to mixing CA cichlids for sure, but it's not impossible, and your tank is a decent size to give it a shot. I would add 3 or 4 at once like you are saying. Adding a group of firemouths would probably work, they may pair up but that's fine, a pair of firemouths won't kill a larger JD, or any fish most likely, in a 125. That would be the easiest thing to do tbh.
If you wanted to do it like you say, with individuals of different species, it will be more difficult but still possible. But, I would have another tank running, 50g at least, to move fish into if necessary. You are very unlikely to get a completely peaceful mix on the first shot.
I might try- Sajica, Honduran Red Point, centrarchus, heterospila, all males

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
FMs, (most of the genus Thorichthys) are social species and do best in groups or 4 or 5. This doesn't mean you can't keep 1, but it means if you want to see more natural behavior, and them to look their best, a shoal is probably best way.
I have also found that JDs whether it be in tanks or in nature, suffer a bit when combined with other cichlids, if the others are more dominant, the JDs are either prone to stress born diseases, bullied, and hide all the time, or...... if the JDs dominate, the other cichlids end up dead.
Take these 2 videos filmed in their natural habitat in Mexico.
In the 1st, other cichlids dominate, and the JD population is low, and torn up, they also tend to hide a lot.
027 zps4b102ffd
In the Cenote below, JDs dominate, their population is large, and generally much healthier.
Eden2
One of the most successful, and most natural JD tanks I have seen, was a friends that had a male, and 4 or 5 female JDs, no other cichlids.

I also find when keeping either FMs or JDs, the best tank mates are not other species of cichlids, but the natural live bearers they share habitat with in nature, as in the videos above (either Gambusia, or mollies).
One other thing, whenever there are just 2 or 3 separate species of cichlids in a tank, there is almost always a conflict over territory, and aggression is almost always unavoidable, especially if they are added at different times.
If all 3 are put in the tank as juvies at the same time, there is a better chance than, if 1 is added, then another over time, then another.
In that case the oldest resident always feels the tank belongs to it, and has the most invested in defending that chunk of turf from all interlopers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store