Stocking for 400 Gallon concrete pond

lulumallick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
Hello everyone,
I have created a 400 gallon concrete pond (6'X3'X3'). I want to stock some predator fishes. In my LFS there are some spotted gars (18inch & 3-4inch), silver arowana (5-8inch), small RTCs (2-3inch), Oscars (small to large). Besides this I have also raised 2 Oscars from baby to 10inches in 2 different 75 gallon tanks. So my question is can I raise these kind of fishs in my 400 gallon ? Please give me the stocking ideas.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yes you can absolutely keep those fish in that tank, may be a bit small for the silver arowanas for life but you can keep them in there for now, the oscars and spotted gar will be fine in there. The redtail cats would also be ok in there for now, but be prepared for a massive upgrade as they get to be over 5 feet long

lulumallick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
Thanks for responding. If i get same sizes of each fishes (3-5 inches), I think it will be better to add one each (spotted gar, RTC, arowana and oscar).

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I would do spotted gars and oscars, definitely small for a rtc except as a growout, not to mention rtc often eat oscars.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Yes you can absolutely keep those fish in that tank, may be a bit small for the silver arowanas for life but you can keep them in there for now, the oscars and spotted gar will be fine in there. The redtail cats would also be ok in there for now, but be prepared for a massive upgrade as they get to be over 5 feet long
No. Red tail catfish do not get over 5 feet long and where did you get this information from? The WORLD RECORD sized redtail catfish was caught just at 5 feet long so your average redtail catfish at home will not get 5 feet long and without a doubt longer then 5 feet. If you were to get those other fish than you can't get the red tail catfish since they grow so fast that they will end up becoming food for the red tail. The Oscar would certainly become food for a redtail catfish even a world record sized Oscar would be food for a good sized redtail catfish.
I personally wouldn't put a red tail catfish in a 3 foot wide tank but that is just my opinion and I have not kept one before so I can't speak from experience.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
No. Red tail catfish do not get over 5 feet long and where did you get this information from? The WORLD RECORD sized redtail catfish was caught just at 5 feet long so your average redtail catfish at home will not get 5 feet long and without a doubt longer then 5 feet. If you were to get those other fish than you can't get the red tail catfish since they grow so fast that they will end up becoming food for the red tail. The Oscar would certainly become food for a redtail catfish even a world record sized Oscar would be food for a good sized redtail catfish.
I personally wouldn't put a red tail catfish in a 3 foot wide tank but that is just my opinion and I have not kept one before so I can't speak from experience.
http://meethepet.com/redtail-catfish/

http://www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com/fish-library/asian-red-tail-catfish/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redtail_catfish

https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/redtail-catfish/

Personally a 20'x10'x'4 tank would be my choice for a red tail catfish IF I get one, but seeing as he'll eat just about everything I wouldn't want one. Yes you are also right about the redtail catfish eating everything else, that was my bad.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That second one is for the Asian red tail catfish. I have never heard of a red tail catfish growing bigger then 5 feet and always heard that the world record was 5 feet, if I’m wrong I’ll take back what I said. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter if anyone knows then it’s you one would think.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A couple of things to keep in mind, first off beyond just size limitations your mechanical and especially your biological filtration will also play a large role in what and how many you can keep in a closed system, and secondly sometimes the people giving advice on online forums have zero personal experience with regards to the questions being asked.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
sometimes the people giving advice on online forums have zero personal experience with regards to the questions being asked.
I said I had not had one so I made that clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store