Switch to Sand bottom with Oscar

OscarDaddy69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2018
I am thinking of changing my current setup to a sand bottom. Ive attached a photo of my current setup. I have a 75 Gallon with a lutino oscar, Jack Dempsey and a pleco. what are some suggestions and advice with sand bottoms with oscars. Will the sand mess up my filter, im running an eheim cannister filter. Also, what are some of the best sands that you guys have had success with or liked the best and if you have any suggestions on white or black sand let me know what you think.

IMG_1004.jpg

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
The only thing to keep in mind is the rocks currently house quite a bit of beneficial bacteria. So if you swap it out, you're tank will go through a mini-cycle. A lot of people you pool filter sand for neutral, and black diamond blasting media for black (I use this personally and cleaning it sucks FYI).

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The biggest drawback with using sand is if any get sucked up I know in HOB filters will destroy most impeller's but never had a Canister Filter so don't know if it will do any damage to them.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Like others have said, Oscars are diggers and will at times kick up so much sand it will look like a sand storm in your tank.
Over 6 months with sand in Toni's tank I had to change out the inpeller shafts twice due to the sand. Even with sponges on the filter intakes the finer stuff got thru and did damage.
20180109_235244.jpg
Every night she used to do this. I would smooth the sand nice and flat, by the morning this and the other side would be down to the glass.
If you do go sand I would suggest a bigger grain at least 1mm or bigger. I had Carbisea Moonlight sand. It is .25 to 1mm in size. Also some kind of prefilter to block most, if not all the sand from getting sucked into the filter.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If you use a bigger sand grain it wont float around so much and will settle back down quicker before it gets sucked into the filter.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I am thinking of changing my current setup to a sand bottom. Ive attached a photo of my current setup. I have a 75 Gallon with a lutino oscar, Jack Dempsey and a pleco. what are some suggestions and advice with sand bottoms with oscars. Will the sand mess up my filter, im running an eheim cannister filter. Also, what are some of the best sands that you guys have had success with or liked the best and if you have any suggestions on white or black sand let me know what you think.

View attachment 1328162
I see some large barb, but no JD. ???

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Like others have said, Oscars are diggers and will at times kick up so much sand it will look like a sand storm in your tank.
Over 6 months with sand in Toni's tank I had to change out the inpeller shafts twice due to the sand. Even with sponges on the filter intakes the finer stuff got thru and did damage.
View attachment 1328171
Every night she used to do this. I would smooth the sand nice and flat, by the morning this and the other side would be down to the glass.
If you do go sand I would suggest a bigger grain at least 1mm or bigger. I had Carbisea Moonlight sand. It is .25 to 1mm in size. Also some kind of prefilter to block most, if not all the sand from getting sucked into the filter.
Exactly, get a larger grain sand and you'll be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store