Nov 7, 2018
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
<5ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Help. Just need advice. Not sure what can even do differently now. Just ready to breakdown with this so mad at my help. Mad at myself.

Temp was 76.2
Temp this morning only 71.5 (if accurate)
As of 10am 73
We transferred our beloved pleco and goldfish to their 120 acrylic tank last night. Everything was ok within a 1/2 degree, ph within 0.5 of each other, Etc. BUT We had a problem earlier with the tank being a little too warm, and had popped a fan to break the surface tension. This quickly fixed the problem and I *said to shut off*

I didn’t know it (I have mobility issues and don’t c open the tank myself) but I guess there was a misunderstanding and the fan was left on w/heaters off completely.

So this morning the temp was down to 71/71.5. The heaters both put on then this morning and the fan is now OFF but I’m worried about it heating too fast and worried it will overheat easily as well...

Other thoughts
Initial transfer - 8pm(ish) tank to tank
Our pleco seemed to have some trouble but the goldfish seemed happy. HOWEVER I noticed around 5am neither seemed ok. Goldfish was darting/swimming erratically like he did when the filter has malfunctioned previously in his 37g and pleco didnt move most of the night only finally ran to his hide at 5am and stayed there (he stayed immediately where he landed post transfer from 8pm until then). Bad signs were there...

They really are our babies. My kids are special needs and it will be horrible if either fish passes, and of the 2 losing our pleco Would be absolutely devastating for them.
Plus-I’d cry too :-(
Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

Adding: I guess I’m so worried because we already keep it a little cold as the fish like different environments and 75 is the sweet spot to keep both happy. It’s just a few degrees from 75, but it’s much farther from the 80 plecos like typically.

Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Help. Just need advice. Not sure what can even do differently now. Just ready to breakdown with this so mad at my help. Mad at myself.

Temp was 76.2
Temp this morning only 71.5 (if accurate)
As of 10am 73
We transferred our beloved pleco and goldfish to their 120 acrylic tank last night. Everything was ok within a 1/2 degree, ph within 0.5 of each other, Etc. BUT We had a problem earlier with the tank being a little too warm, and had popped a fan to break the surface tension. This quickly fixed the problem and I *said to shut off*

I didn’t know it (I have mobility issues and don’t c open the tank myself) but I guess there was a misunderstanding and the fan was left on w/heaters off completely.

So this morning the temp was down to 71/71.5. The heaters both put on then this morning and the fan is now OFF but I’m worried about it heating too fast and worried it will overheat easily as well...

Other thoughts
Initial transfer - 8pm(ish) tank to tank
Our pleco seemed to have some trouble but the goldfish seemed happy. HOWEVER I noticed around 5am neither seemed ok. Goldfish was darting/swimming erratically like he did when the filter has malfunctioned previously in his 37g and pleco didnt move most of the night only finally ran to his hide at 5am and stayed there (he stayed immediately where he landed post transfer from 8pm until then). Bad signs were there...

They really are our babies. My kids are special needs and it will be horrible if either fish passes, and of the 2 losing our pleco Would be absolutely devastating for them.
Plus-I’d cry too :-(
Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

Adding: I guess I’m so worried because we already keep it a little cold as the fish like different environments and 75 is the sweet spot to keep both happy. It’s just a few degrees from 75, but it’s much farther from the 80 plecos like typically.

Thanks
Goldfish are pretty hardy and hopefully will be fine. Some members unplug their heaters during the warmer seasons. I think your fish will be fine.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I don't think a water change is warranted since this is a just a transfer to a new tank. Quite a few topics on this subject.

N NilusFishFamily , don't be too concerned with the temperature difference right now because it happened slowly over a few hours. Do keep an eye on the temperature though since you've turned on 2 heaters .

It is common for fish to act differently in a new environment because they are getting used to their new home.

Can you post a pic or 2 of the fish in their new home?

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Pic below. Tiger Shark (our goldfish) is hiding in the plant in the center. Other than being very skittish he seems ok now. Squiggly (our pleco) hasn’t moved since he ran to his hide around 5am.
Still looking for ideas on hides and plants.
Down the line a tank mate our gold might school with would be nice- our goldfish misses his buddies(passed away) all of which were rescued from a birthday party where they were the table centerpieces...

I don't think a water change is warranted since this is a just a transfer to a new tank. Quite a few topics on this subject.

N NilusFishFamily , don't be too concerned with the temperature difference right now because it happened slowly over a few hours. Do keep an eye on the temperature though since you've turned on 2 heaters .

It is common for fish to act differently in a new environment because they are getting used to their new home.

The goldfish (Tiger Shark) is hiding inside the center, but other than being *very* skittish he’s acting normally when no one is looking. Our pleico (Squiggly) is in his hide, and hasn’t budged since he ran from the cold late last night/early morning.

I turn led the lights down about 50% to help them feel secure and I’m trying to find ideas for more hides & plants for both of them. Down the line a tank mate that my gold might school with would be nice. He’s been lonely since buddies passed over a year ago. (All were rescued from a kids birthday where they were used as table centerpieces).

6FC1656D-0A31-4264-90B7-AA75236C0D8F.jpeg

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Thanks for the update and the pic!

Think of it as kids going to a new school and being shy, they should eventually start coming out more.

You could also try reducing the light a bit more if you can, it looks pretty bright in your pic.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Goldfish originate in China where water temps can range in the low 40sF in winter to temps in the 80s in summer.
I kept goldfish in my pond in Milwaukee from May thru Oct, and water temps in the pond ranged from the lower 50sF to high 70s.
I had to bring them in from Nov thru April because the pond would freeze solid during those months, but at that time I'd keep them in a kiddy pool in an unheated basement where a water temp of 50'F in Jan was common.
A cool down in winter is a normal part of their life cycle, and I believe they are healthier with it.
I would never use a heater for goldfish.
And even for Pleco's, room temps in the low 70s are fine.

Below, the kiddy pool on a cold basement floor in winter

Every summer in those Wisconsin fluctuating temps, the goldfish would spawn.
You can see them spawning in the video below, eggs scattering on top of lily leaves.
GOPR6064

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store