thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I thought about getting one of those to go with my amazon leaf fish in that tank but if he stays at the bottom that would be an expensive dinner for my catfish they say he can eat anything his size
95% of the time my butis butis are hanging out upside down under the frogbit at the surface or behind the filter intakes very rarely do mine go near the bottom the closest they go is to blend in with the driftwood

Reactions: moe214

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not thought about what i am currently keeping for a while now but its just cheered me up!
2 pengasius ( one a high fin) still both babies at 28"
3 asian red tail cats ( one an albino)
1 wykii (20")
1 baby red tail growing on (5")
1 vulture cat (20")
1 bolt cat (10")
1 sperata aor (15")
2 girraffe cats (18")
3 clarrias cats (18")
5 pim maculatus (9")
3 pim pictus (4")
5 bumblebee (7")
2 L114
5 Banjo cats
5 Glyptothorax shawi (tiny monsters)
Pair stinging cats (fossil cats)
Plus the more usual plecs, other cats and whiptails.

• Love
Reactions: dr exum

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Not thought about what i am currently keeping for a while now but its just cheered me up!
1 wykii (20")
1 vulture cat (20")
1 bolt cat (10")
1 sperata aor (15")
2 girraffe cats (18")
3 clarrias cats (18")
5 pim maculatus (9")
3 pim pictus (4")
5 bumblebee (7")
2 L114
5 Banjo cats
I'd like to see pictures of your collection, sounds nice

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
1 wykii (20")
1 vulture cat (20")
1 bolt cat (10")
1 sperata aor (15")
2 girraffe cats (18")
3 clarrias cats (18")
5 pim maculatus (9")
3 pim pictus (4")
5 bumblebee (7")
2 L114
5 Banjo cats
Very interesting list indeed. Too bad you post so seldom because you probably have much helpful info and interesting things and visuals to share.

Five Pimelodus maculatus? Really? I've been on the lookout for this fish for a decade and have never even come across a keeper. We don't seem to get them in the trade at all. Are you sure it is not a blochii or albofasciatum and Co?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
No guarantees they are not maculatus howeve definately looked like them when little (spots, not scribbles, and not in rows)and my supplier knows his fish.
Got these in 2016 from Neil at Pier aquatics in Wigan, he seems to be able to get almost anything, although i didnt think maculatus were that hard to find,.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No guarantees they are not maculatus howeve definately looked like them when little (spots, not scribbles, and not in rows)and my supplier knows his fish.
Got these in 2016 from Neil at Pier aquatics in Wigan, he seems to be able to get almost anything, although i didnt think maculatus were that hard to find,.
I see. So you are in UK, you know Neil, and your pond has a viewing window. Now we are getting somewhere... You have just quadrupled your electronic footprint on the net :)

The fish look great!

I suppose I was duped in a similar way once - about several years back I saw a fish for sale on Ebay. The ad stated maculatus and it looked close, so I got it. $30. Its appearance was just like you describe of yours. But it grew up to look for all intents and purposes like a blochii, just with a better, crisper spot definition, other than that, I fail to see any differences.

You can spot it here in my blochii thread, especially in the latest videos: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...odus-blochii-in-4500-gal.682528/#post-7680734

I never searched intently but also I have never seen Pimelodus maculatus for sale at any LFS or on any mail-order vendor list that I came across in the US for the last decade.

Reactions: moe214

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I see. So you are in UK, you know Neil, and your pond has a viewing window. Now we are getting somewhere... You have just quadrupled your electronic footprint on the net :)

The fish look great!

I suppose I was duped in a similar way once - about several years back I saw a fish for sale on Ebay. The ad stated maculatus and it looked close, so I got it. $30. Its appearance was just like you describe of yours. But it grew up to look for all intents and purposes like a blochii, just with a better, crisper spot definition, other than that, I fail to see any differences.

You can spot it here in my blochii thread, especially in the latest videos: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...odus-blochii-in-4500-gal.682528/#post-7680734

I never searched intently but also I have never seen Pimelodus maculatus for sale at any LFS or on any mail-order vendor list that I came across in the US for the last decade.
I have two blochii too and the only thing (other than Neil suggesting they were maculatus) is that from the front they have a narrower head and mouth than the blochii do. If that's right or not - I don't know - I can only go by what I have and what they were supposed to be.

I just looked through more of your posts, man your living the dream, you keep, have kept and no doubt will keep fish I have only dreamt of keeping for over thirty years AND ( most importantly) in the right way!!!
Although, ive been doing this long enough to know that one days dream is another days nightmare and that it all goes wrong fast.
In 2010 I built my current setup and moved my existing stock into an insulated, heated outbuilding.
Pond built up from the ground on concrete garage base(oh so cold!!!!) out of timber, double lined(arnt pacu great with liners) 15mm acrylic viewing pane , sealed and bolted and equipped with waterfall and houseplants( all sounds much more grand than the real thing at the time). Only to find that after a week, the building was that well insulated it was air tight! Filter crash and I lost almost the exact stock I have now in under 7 days even with mature filters, no overstocking, etc. That was 7 days of fighting to save every fish individually and failing. Took me 7 more days to prove just how airtight and how little oxygen there was in there on a nighttime!.
Taken me since then to build up the stock and the courage to stock the same pond with the same fish, and almost the same layout. Although now with air circulation and no fancy waterfall and houseplants!
Although some of this crew certainly have different characters.

Glad to be up and running again, even in a small way compared to you!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store