What to feed angelfish fry

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey guys,

my angels have spawned multiple times this past month, but the fry never get past the free swimming stage. Every time they are gone, possibly from angel parents and other inhabitants eating them. I've recently set up a small 10 gallon fry tank and they just laid eggs. After they are fertilized, should I take the eggs out or wait for them to develop into wigglers. Finally, and most importantly, what can i feed them. I've heard baby brine shrimp is the best, but i've never bred them (while I do have a brine shrimp hatchery, I've never used it). Can I feed them more prepared foods like flakes, egg yolk, or hikari fry food?

Thanks,
Ray

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys,

my angels have spawned multiple times this past month, but the fry never get past the free swimming stage. Every time they are gone, possibly from angel parents and other inhabitants eating them. I've recently set up a small 10 gallon fry tank and they just laid eggs. After they are fertilized, should I take the eggs out or wait for them to develop into wigglers. Finally, and most importantly, what can i feed them. I've heard baby brine shrimp is the best, but i've never bred them (while I do have a brine shrimp hatchery, I've never used it). Can I feed them more prepared foods like flakes, egg yolk, or hikari fry food?

Thanks,
Ray
You should remove whatever the eggs were laid on and transfer it to the 10 gallon but make sure you place a air stone near the eggs to simulate the parents fanning the eggs. The air stone will keep eggs free of debris and from fungus. I highly recommend the live baby brine shrimp over the prepared foods. I would get the hatchery going after the eggs have hatched. You will have approximately 48 hrs and fry will absorb their egg sac.
If you decide not to continue to hatch Brine Shrimp then Hikari First Bites or crumbled flake or pellet will be fine. Will you be using a seeded Sponge Filter?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You should remove whatever the eggs were laid on and transfer it to the 10 gallon but make sure you place a air stone near the eggs to simulate the parents fanning the eggs. The air stone will keep eggs free of debris and from fungus. I highly recommend the live baby brine shrimp over the prepared foods. I would get the hatchery going after the eggs have hatched. You will have approximately 48 hrs and fry will absorb their egg sac.
If you decide not to continue to hatch Brine Shrimp then Hikari First Bites or crumbled flake or pellet will be fine. Will you be using a seeded Sponge Filter?
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/oscar-eggs-hatched.735052/

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Yes I have a hang on the back that is cycled and will use that and covet the intake with foam. Since I have several pairs in my tank, and they lay eggs every couple weeks, I think I’ll try boiled egg yolk and hikari first bites for now and start researching how to set up the brine shrimp hatchery! Thanks for info! I’ll keep this thread updated with my trials and tribulations.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks to duanes duanes I purchased a couple of brine shrimp hatcheries that require no air pump and collecting the Artemia is simple. I picked up 2 from Brine Shrimp Direct.20201108_143210.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Interesting thread. I’ll see if I can purée some flakes or massivores lol. Would that be better than egg yolk or the hikari first bites?
Tbh never tried the puree method. I personally prefer the crushed pellet over the egg yolk or Hikari First Bites.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Tbh never tried the puree method. I personally prefer the crushed pellet over the egg yolk or Hikari First Bites.
so I just crumble up pellets and feed them? Angelfish are really small so that's why I'm not sure if the pellets would be able to fit in their mouths. Also what pellets do you use? Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store