900 gallon monster pond stocklist

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Hello all,
My father and I are building a pond, which is 10 ft in length, 3 ft deep, 4 ft wide. We are currently in the planning stage but we have the area it will be in. We plan for 1 foot of the pond to be in ground and 2 feet of it above ground. We are trying to keep it as cheap as possible. All of my large fish I own will be moved outside into the pond to get rid of the tanks inside of the house.
stock list:
What I currently own for the pond:
1 flowerhorn (10 in long)
1 green severum ( 8 in long)
1 ripsaw catfish ( 1 ft long)
What I want:
1-2 pbass, azul or mono
1 clown knife (royal or albino)
1 arowana (species tbd)
1 golden dorado
The filter will either be a waterfall box with live plants or a diy trash bin filter, I still have to look into it because my father want the pond to look as organized and not look cluttered.
I plan to put a piece of driftwood or lily pads as a centerpiece decor. Leaning towards the lily pads only. I am also looking into growing water lettuce. I do not want any other plants as i want to give the fish as much room as possible to swim and I feel that with the driftwood/lily, it may block some swimming room. I'm looking into duckweed too but feel that it may prevent me from viewing my fish. I do not plan to use a uv system that is tbd too. Any Ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Do not get a jardini arowana. They are too aggressive. Get either a silver or a south american black/blue arowana. If you do the waterfall filter and you use lava rock, make sure you have good mechanical filtration BEFORE the lavarock because you do not want debris getting caught up in the lava rock.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
I was think about getting a silver, because my old jar was too aggressive. Do you think the flowerhorn will be okay in with everyone else? He was very territorial when he was with the aro, so I had to seperate him. I was thinking of using dithers as well.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
I created a new stock list, please tell me if there may be any problems
x1 Flowerhorn male
x3 Severums
x1 Ripsaw cat
x1 silver aro
x2 oscars
x2 pbass
x1 clown knife

Reactions: Lucas&kim

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Idk if this thread is too old, but I need a suggestion for what to use for the upper part of the pond. I'm looking at wooden beams, or using 8"x8"x16" concrete blocks. Which would be better in the long run? Also looking for suggestion on filters, which will be powered by a 1000 gph pump.
New Stock list:
2-3 peacock bass
1 male flowerhorn
1 clownknife
1 ripsaw catfish
2 oscars
1 silver aro
1 red tail catfish

Last edited:

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I don't think you'd be able to support any of those without a bigger pump.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I use two 1500 gph pumps on my 300gal. Unless ponds have different rules (they may) I'd personally shoot for at least 6k turnover. Oscar and flowehorn will be rtc food eventually.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If you stock a pond lightly and keep feeding down to once a day then your turnover can be less

Idk if this thread is too old, but I need a suggestion for what to use for the upper part of the pond. I'm looking at wooden beams, or using 8"x8"x16" concrete blocks. Which would be better in the long run? Also looking for suggestion on filters, which will be powered by a 1000 gph pump.
New Stock list:
2-3 peacock bass
1 male flowerhorn
1 clownknife
1 ripsaw catfish
2 oscars
1 silver aro
1 red tail catfish
Maybe just keep the fish you have and add more Severums and an aro. Maybe a pbass too. You could potentially then just have 3k-4k turnover this will save money on feeding, pumps and electricity for your budget setup

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store