Stocking for 400 Gallon concrete pond

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the google master. I guess he missed the recent quality over quantity thread?

Reactions: fishhead0103666

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hello everyone,
I have created a 400 gallon concrete pond (6'X3'X3'). I want to stock some predator fishes. In my LFS there are some spotted gars (18inch & 3-4inch), silver arowana (5-8inch), small RTCs (2-3inch), Oscars (small to large). Besides this I have also raised 2 Oscars from baby to 10inches in 2 different 75 gallon tanks. So my question is can I raise these kind of fishs in my 400 gallon ? Please give me the stocking ideas.
Are you planning to keep the fish in that enclosure for 1 year? 5 years? Life?

That second one is for the Asian red tail catfish. I have never heard of a red tail catfish growing bigger then 5 feet and always heard that the world record was 5 feet, if I’m wrong I’ll take back what I said. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter if anyone knows then it’s you one would think.
It's moot to the OP question because RTC is too large regardless but in captivity it seems the RTC usually max out at ~3' (males) and ~4' (females). In the wild indeed champion sizes recorded were 5'-6' - http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/scientificname/Phractocephalus hemioliopterus/show

RTC Mark Jones.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Wow, I’m honestly surprised that they can get to 6 feet.... I owe you an apology crayfish, I’m sorry. And sorry to op for derailing your thread a bit.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wow, I’m honestly surprised that they can get to 6 feet.... I owe you an apology crayfish, I’m sorry. And sorry to op for derailing your thread a bit.
it's all good, I honestly had no idea there were two types of red tail catfish lol, now should we talk about other potential options for catfish? The RTC is out of the question, what about a shovelnose catfish or a pleco?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Before suggesting stock, maybe you can provide some info like whether this is an indoor or outdoor pond, filtration, country/weather environment, heater......

Reactions: tlindsey

lulumallick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
Thanks for everyone's advice. I really dont want to loose any of my fish So i am taking time. As per now I think I will add about 4-6 fishes. Arowana, Spotted Gar, Pacu, Peacock Bass and may be RTC. All about 4-5inches. And I will care them for about 5-6months and then will upgrade a bigger pond.

Reactions: tlindsey

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Thanks for everyone's advice. I really dont want to loose any of my fish So i am taking time. As per now I think I will add about 4-6 fishes. Arowana, Spotted Gar, Pacu, Peacock Bass and may be RTC. All about 4-5inches. And I will care them for about 5-6months and then will upgrade a bigger pond.
If you don't upgrade you will be in deep trouble. I'd give up the rtc and pacu right off the bat. Big fish are not easy to get rid of unless you plan on having a cookout.

What's the biggest pond you can provide?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store