Stocking for 400 Gallon concrete pond

lulumallick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
what would you think of some sort of shovelnose catfish? I think they would be more suitable for you than a red tail cat would be
Jeffrey, I dont have any knowledge on shovelnose catfish. These fishes are expensive here also. How much their max size. Can they live with Spotted Gar and Arowana ?

Reactions: tlindsey
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Jeffrey, I dont have any knowledge on shovelnose catfish. These fishes are expensive here also. How much their max size. Can they live with Spotted Gar and Arowana ?
It can range from 16-24 inches for a Lima shovelnose (the smallest shovelnose catfish species), but larger ones can reach 3 feet. As for if they'll get along, they should, but with fish it all depends on the individual fish, some might get along some might not

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
If you plan on a Silver Arowana be aware they are natural jumpers so a secure lid will be needed. Another option for Catfish would be Megaladoras Irwini or Niger especially if you plan on upgrading to the larger pond.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Deadliest Viper and RD
images
Beside getting too big for that size pond (unlesss maybe as a lone fish), the cat may eat your oscars, and anything else that fits in their mouth, and knowing they grow at a much faster rate than the others, could be just bout anything.

A friend of mine runs an 10,000 gal Amazon exhibit at a public zoo, the tank is about 10 ft tall. In order to escape the two "5 ft" red tails, the 15" oscars constantly stay near the surface.
And as RD implied, a 400 gallon pond is not that large, and ponds are often much more difficult to maintain water quality on.
I had to use a bio-fractionation unit to keep water quality high on my similar size pond, with only 2 koi, and a few goldfish.
koi pond fractionation
koi pond [URL='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyb3z-V1Rsg']GOPR6064
[/URL]

Last edited:

lulumallick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
Welcome aboard
If you plan on a Silver Arowana be aware they are natural jumpers so a secure lid will be needed. Another option for Catfish would be Megaladoras Irwini or Niger especially if you plan on upgrading to the larger pond.
Thanks. I have joined coz I want to clarify everything before stocking my 400g. I also seen arowana jumping. So I will definitely secure lid. And for catfish (bottom feeders) I have to research more.

lulumallick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
I had to use a bio-fractionation unit to keep water quality high on my similar size pond, with only 2 koi, and a few goldfish.
I am just beginning the idea of keeping predator fish. Got an canister fitler. Also planning to add baby fishes of small number. You all have much knowledge on fishkeeping. So appreciate ur feedback.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK!

I can provide a 1000gallon in next 5-6month
Everybody on this forum would advise you and anyone else to have a ready and cycled tank / pond first, and get the fish second. Albeit most of us, the same well-wishers, don't practice what we preach, I'm confident everybody would agree:

Tank first, fish second.

We couldn't tell you how many innumerable times we have seen "hey gang, it's alright, no problem, I will have a tank / pond for when my current fish will have outgrown their current tank" and then it doesn't happen, or happens too late, or haste makes waste... because everything is easy on paper plus people are horrible planners. Speaking from personal experience.

There are the rarest exceptions but as a 99.99% rule, these rookies end up sickening and losing most or all of their fish.

... Well I am speaking of DIY-ers and people on a limited, average budget. If you are rich (I can see those are real diamond earrings), you could fall into the golden exception group haha, teasing yah a bit.

Reactions: PYRU

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store