Can I add an Arowana to this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Even if it only reached three feet, still a tad tight don't you think?
I suppose so but I couldnt confidently say since ive not kept an adult aro.

Who here is saying that? I suspect plenty of other species of aros are also abused in captivity, but the difference, and it's a BIG one, is silvers are dirt cheap in comparison to an Asian aro. Fish that are dirt cheap are easily replaced, kind of like an Oscar that gets funged up from spending years in a 55 gallon.
It was said somewhere in the beginning of the thread regarding why silvers dont reach 4ft in captivity.

The comparison im making is we have some saying they dont reach their size potential and die prematurely because they need to be kept in larger tanks and this is the sole reason for the lack of size. polyaddict asked if anyone seen a 4ft aro in person. Not kept in a pond. Better off you read the beginning posts of the thread.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
It seems that I have read and will continue to read threads like this that get way off topic and end in the thread closed.
Im pretty sure its common knowledge that there is a good posibility when keeping fish in to small of an enclosure it will/could cause it to become stunted. Go read the angel and or discus section it's in there all the time. That stuff applies to all fish, reptiles and amphibians. The old saying "it will only grow to the tank size", is kinda true. Because it dies shortly (hopefully for the fishes sake) after it can no longer turn or swim more then half its body length.
Not all fish fall into this but id say most monsters would. Look at the fishes body type long slender like a knife, large eyes, large mouth, quick fluid movements, not built to live in a puddle. Yes all fish should have the biggest space available. Maybe this means you shouldnt get that fish as you cannot properly house it. Minimum spec is crap! I want Asian aros and silvers I dont have room for a big enough tank so I resist the urge to get them( not asians obviously) even though ive seen a few in the last few weeks that were awesome priced. I know I can not currently supply a large enough tank and may not be able to for a while. Also saw a mbu I could have gotten cheep, again no room for a large enough tank. Sometimes we need to stop and think about the life of that animal vs or wants or "needs". Again min spec is crap. Alot of people want to min spec everything, leads to broken stuff.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
It’s funny, you can get a general view of who doesn’t get along with who if you look through a single one of these threads.

You can also see what people think alike on what subjects and where they differ. All in all it’s rather interesting to watch these threads play out.

From what I’ve gathered it’s typically jaws vs RD and from time to time you’ll get another pairing such as skj vs jaws or stanz vs jaws.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well said twentyleagues. Hopefully the OP got the info that they came for.

This is just another example of an exercise in futility, stupidity, whatever one wants to call it. The difference that some seem not able to grasp, is that silvers have been seen in the 40"+ range, probably the 4ft+ range, in captivity - be it in a pond, or a public aquarium, etc. That's why polyaddict wanted larger systems such as ponds etc removed from the equation, when he/she said:

Just a quick question, have anyone here ever seen a 4’ silver arowana? Not in a pond or public aquarium but in a fish tank? Or better yet has anyone ever seen or grew a 4’ silver aro in a 240g tank?
Because most know, that in larger systems, such as ponds, large public aquariums etc, a silver aro can easily reach the 40+" range - in captivity. That clearly removes poor genes from the equation, and points directly to the fact that in larger systems, silvers can reach those kinds of sizes.

The genus that was then referred to and injected into the conversation, Asian aros, have not ever reached that kind of size, in captivity. In fact, an Asian aro over 30" is a rarity, although I'm sure 36" is definitely possible, in captivity. Other than some bogus fisherman photos, please show me a 4ft Asian aro. lol I don't recall ever seeing pictures or videos of an Asian aro in any of the large breeding ponds in Singapore in the 4ft range.

That's the difference.

Many fish kept in tight quarters fail to reach their full potential. Unfortunately good genetics won't trump piss poor conditions.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Basically im saying how can we say silvers jump, die, dont reach their full size, ect ect when we dont say the same about aussie and asians.
Lol maybe because OP was asking about Silver Arowana and not Aussie or Asian ;) Also as RD says with Silvers the general concensus is that Silvers have a reputation for being the most skittish and jumpy of Arowana, at least in captivity. Just like Jardini have a reputation for not too infrequently going beserko in community tanks.

The comparison im making is we have some saying they dont reach their size potential and die prematurely because they need to be kept in larger tanks and this is the sole reason for the lack of size. polyaddict asked if anyone seen a 4ft aro in person. Not kept in a pond. Better off you read the beginning posts of the thread.
Well I guess your referencing my post, but where did I say the need for a larger tank is the sole reason why Silvers die prematurely or don't get to 4'?? Please go back and do some re-reading yourself: I said ..."because they mostly die and/or are so stressed they jump out of the tank long before reaching 4' -- the smaller, more cramped the tank, the more likely an aro is to jump out." Nowhere in this statement does it say tank size is the sole reason (though it can certainly be a big reason, and that's what this thread is about) -- but there's those ace reading comprehension skills again...

shouldnt the same go for anyone keeping scleropages in 30ish wide tanks ?
Well of course it depends on the size of the Scleropages (be it Asian, Leichardti or Jardini, all of which can get 2' to maybe even 3') -- as well as the long-term plans of the owner.

But agreed with your main point, good to see you coming around: and that's why having a (doable) plan in place with these kind of fish is very important -- and for each step along the way, to provide the fish with adequate -- not long-term cramped -- space, for both practical and ethical reasons.

I can't speak for other Scleropages owners, but for anyone who cares here's my personal plan:
1) Acquired 2 X Asian Arowana @ ~10.5". After 3 weeks in temporary 90 gallon tank (20" wide), each moved to new solo 325g tank, 84"Lx32"Wx28"H. They're both ~13" now and have plenty of space and certainly no trouble to turn around easily.

2) If I do a good job of raising them, and if I'm lucky enough they reach 24", I'll reward them with ~500g tanks with wider/longer footprints (luckily I live in a place where large, custom tanks are quite inexpensive compared to Western countries).

3) If I'm fortunate enough and they outgrow those tanks then it's time to set-up an outdoor pond or two -- luckily I live in place where the climate is super ideal for this :) Or if they get that huge I could always sell them for big bucks to a rich Thai businessman.

But for those of you who live in frigid climates and keep Scleropages I don't know what your long-term plans would be for keeping such fish -- perhaps indoor ponds in heated garages, basements or specially built fish rooms like Joey DIY? Sounds expensive.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
But agreed with your main point, good to see you coming around
Coming around to what ?

Just general conversation. As i hardly hear the same arguement about the smaller aussie and asian cousins but read they can get quite large in the wild.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Coming around to what ?

Just general conversation. As i hardly hear the same arguement about the smaller aussie and asian cousins but read they can get quite large in the wild.
Coming around to the point that it isn't a good idea to keep monster fish ong-term in tanks that are too small/cramped. Or at least that's what I thought/hoped you were implying with your query.

The reason why you might hardly hear the same arguments made in regard to keeping Aussies or Asians is that there are a heck of a lot less people owning these (esp. Asians) compared to Silvers, which are a dime a dozen and legal in US where a majority of MFK members reside. If OP had asked the same question about Jardini he would have have received the same responses.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7 and RD.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Coming around to the point that it isn't a good idea to keep monster fish ong-term in tanks that are too small/cramped. Or at least that's what I thought/hoped you were implying with your query.

The reason why you might hardly hear the same arguments made in regard to keeping Aussies or Asians is that there are a heck of a lot less people owning these (esp. Asians) compared to Silvers, which are a dime a dozen and legal in US where a majority of MFK members reside. If OP had asked the same question about Jardini he would have have received the same responses.

Ugh. I have to ask, where did i say it was ok to keep monster fish long term in small tanks ? Quote the exact comment.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Ugh. I have to ask, where did i say it was ok to keep monster fish long term in small tanks ? Quote the exact comment.
Umm from your posts here and other threads (e.g. recent Oscar in 55g thread) you are quite clearly defending those who keep big fish in smaller tanks -- and then getting into the usual tedious arguments against those who say it's a bad idea. It's called reading between the lines -- no need for exact quotes of comments lol, anyone with primary level English reading skills or above can get the gist of what you're saying -- or are you doing it solely for the sake of being argumentive?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Umm from your posts here and other threads (e.g. recent Oscar in 55g thread) you are quite clearly defending those who keep big fish in smaller tanks -- and then getting into the usual tedious arguments against those who say it's a bad idea. It's called reading between the lines -- no need for exact quotes of comments lol, anyone with primary level English reading skills or above can get the gist of what you're saying -- or are you doing it solely for the sake of being argumentive?
Hahaha your reading skills clearly arent up to par. All talk no results. When you find a comment that can back up your claims please post it. Go back and read your oscar thread again.... slowly. What post in this thread are you confused with ? I'll help you get through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store