Jacob._.merc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
greetings again, I have a 6 inch Fossorochromis rostratus and I am having a bit of trouble identifying the gender. It has female coloration right now but I've seen some males with the same coloration. If it could be a male, how long does it take for it to get that bluish color? If it is female, will it get up to the same size as adult males? 90 gallon African community tank.2019-08-28 06.16.09 1.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
greetings again, I have a 6 inch Fossorochromis rostratus and I am having a bit of trouble identifying the gender. It has female coloration right now but I've seen some males with the same coloration. If it could be a male, how long does it take for it to get that bluish color? If it is female, will it get up to the same size as adult males? 90 gallon African community tank.View attachment 1391994

Is that the only Fossorochromis rostratus in the aquarium?
What are the other fish in the aquarium?

Jacob._.merc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
Is that the only Fossorochromis rostratus in the aquarium?
What are the other fish in the aquarium?
Yes it is the only Fossorochromis in there. There is a Malawi eye biter, tangerine tiger, copadichromis, blood parrot, 2 large peacocks and some cats and bichirs. There is no aggression shown towards it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes it is the only Fossorochromis in there. There is a Malawi eye biter, tangerine tiger, copadichromis, blood parrot, 2 large peacocks and some cats and bichirs. There is no aggression shown towards it.

RD. RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Impossible to say with any certainty with that photo, not sure more would even help. Sub dominant male rostratus can retain female markings and color until they become the dom fish, or at least more dominant in the tank.
Here's a pic of a young male of mine, approx. 6" in that pic which was taken shortly before it came out of a tank with a more dom male rostratus. An adult male is really not suited in anything under a 72x18" footptint.

1571243895730.png

A month later with a better camera. You can see the male coloration beginning.

1571243998017.png

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Another good side profile shot @ 6+" or so. Note the pointiness of the both the anal & dorsal fin. That will be your first hint as to whether male or female.

1571252228829.png

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And to answer your question regarding size, the females typically reach 7-8", the largest male that I have seen in an aquarium was a solid 11-12".

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, looks female so far, and you won't know unless it turns, blue/purple.
My male didn't get blue until about 8 or 9", and topped out about a foot, (and just as RD said) the female only hit about 7.
It was amazing to see her pack 50-60 one to two inch fry in her mouth. When mine paired up, they would not allow any other cichlid in 150 gal tank, and after spawning, I had to remove the male, because he constantly hounded the female.
One of my favorite Rift lake species.

Jacob._.merc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
And to answer your question regarding size, the females typically reach 7-8", the largest male that I have seen in an aquarium was a solid 11-12".
Thanks for the info. I am tempted to vent it but I don't want to stress it out. Would you happen to know their growth rate? When I purchased it was about 4 and a half inches

Jacob._.merc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2017
I agree, looks female so far, and you won't know unless it turns, blue/purple.
My male didn't get blue until about 8 or 9", and topped out about a foot, (and just as RD said) the female only hit about 7.
It was amazing to see her pack 50-60 one to two inch fry in her mouth. When mine paired up, they would not allow any other cichlid in 150 gal tank, and after spawning, I had to remove the male, because he constantly hounded the female.
One of my favorite Rift lake species.
What do you feed yours to get them that big? Mine is on the skinny side. Most of my africans are except for one peacock and the tiger. It has that dip in it's stomach like it's starving or not eating enough. None of the Africans particularly like the food I am giving them. I am currently feeding them hikari sinking cichlid pellets and I don't know if they just don't like the feel of it or something. I've been giving it to them for about a month now and they still don't want to eat it to fill themselves. Only reason I am feeding it to them is because it's what I have right now and I'm trying to get rid of it before trying something else. All of mine love the hikari sinking carnivore pellets but that is a pricy food for such a small bag. Any tips? Trying to fatten/make them look bigger. Thanks in advance

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store