1-2 Fish for a 29 Gallon Tank

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Pair of firemouths (or any other thorichthys sp)
Pair of convicts (temporarily but breeding pairs don't usually grow out of the range of a 29) (or any other amatitlania sp. minus sajica and siquia)
Pair of rainbow cichlids
Pair of dwarf pikes-
Pair of angels
Bonded pair of discus
Pair of keyhole cichlids
Rams (GBR or bolivians)-
Apistos-
Dicrossus-
Pair of laetacara-

Pair of kribensis-
Pair of jewel cichlids (lifalili type sp.)

as for dithers,
for underlined fish names, go with SA characins (tetras hatchets or pencilfish, if you go with angels or discus do not put rummynose tetras or cardinals/neons, these are their natural prey items)
for fish with bolded names on that list, go with west african tetras or plant spawning killis, (much more expensive but looks nice) or synodontis nigriventris.
everything else you can just go for swordtails, platies, or mollies. I would not recommend guppies or endlers as these will probably get eaten.

other things you can do:
Rainbows (smaller melanotaenia or pseudomugil)
colony of rock dwelling neolamprologus

I put a dash next to the dwarf cichlids on that list, just letting you know in that case you'll probably want stuff swimming around the top because a 29 is obviously a tall tank and dwarf cichlids tend to hug the bottom. Just letting you know so you don't waste the space

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Look into a African Jewel cichlids. A single Hemichromis lifalli should do fine in there.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You could probably pair them in a tank that size

rudywieck52

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Ames, IA
Would it be possible to put a single male convict or firemouth with other fish as well? Maybe a small school of tiger barbs? Maybe corys?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yes, anything too big to fit in it’s mouth would be fine.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
yes

rudywieck52

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Ames, IA
If that works, then that would get my vote. One larger show fish with some smaller schooling fish to add color and movement.

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
If that works, then that would get my vote. One larger show fish with some smaller schooling fish to add color and movement.
If you like convicts, there’s some other convict types that are more attractive that would work just as well as convicts
Honduran Red points
Cutteri
Sajica
are a few that come to mind

Reactions: Niki_up

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
If you are only getting one, then maybe, but bear in mind convicts themselves, siquia, sajica, cutteri and spilurus have the potential to outgrow a 29. Ask Duanes about that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store