15,000 Gallons of Fun - Stocking

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I posted a thread a few pages back, well I figured there should be a new thread since there's a new plan. Plan A is to build a 26x13x6 tank for 15,000 gallons, or Plan B which is a 38x13x6 tank for 22,000 gallons. I would prefer to go with Plan B - the stock is important, but it can change if absolutely necessary. So, here's the game plan:

Definite Fish:

Cichlids:
2 jaguar cichlids
2 dovii cichlids
4 trimac cichlids
7 super red severum cichlids
4 red tiger motaguense cichlids
18 convict cichlids

Catfish:
1 red tail catfish
2 sunshine plecos
6 royal plecos
2 super red scarlet plecos
1 tiger shovelnose catfish
1 lince catfish
2 giraffe catfish
4 niger catfish
EITHER 1 paroon shark OR 2-3 iridescent sharks

Polys:
3 endlicheri bichirs
4 ornate bichirs
1 delhezi bichir

Others:
1 arapaima
1 alligator gar
1 indo pacific tarpon
5 widebar datnoids
2 silver arowanas
1 marbled clown knifefish
1 marbled swamp eel
1 black arowana
4 giant gouramis
1 bowfin
15 bala sharks
3 largemouth bass
1 south american lungfish

Along with those guys there are a few species I haven't decided on yet. I have either not decided on a species but have a general idea of what I want, or I have decided on a species but don't know how many I want. Feel free to chime in with a suggestion. Those are:

-2 large catfish (something around the size of a RTC or TSN, no wallagos or goonch - can be multiple species and/or a species that I already listed)
-3 medium sized catfish (a bit smaller than a channel catfish - can be multiple species, and can also be more of a species that is listed)

Pacus (what kind plays nicely with other fish? what kind has the potential to look better? and how many?)
Temensis peacock bass (how many?)
Orinoco peacock bass (how many?)
Green terror cichlids (how many?)
Oscars (how many?)
Red terrors (how many?)
Red devils (how many?)

Thanks!

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Is this another troll thread about unrealistic goals
Nope, I plan on building this tank in the future, once I move. I will be growing the fish out in likely stock tanks (100 and 300 gallons) and then the really big guys in Intex pools.

And it's not an unrealistic goal - it's the exact dimensions of JohnPTC's tank. The original plan was a pond, but that WAS unrealistic as it was much larger than this (like 30K gallons) and in-ground which would've been around 45 grand per year to heat, which is very unrealistic IMO. But there are people with tanks this size and larger, so IMO it is not unrealistic.

That being said, I don't want to be lectured on how "I can't do this tank", I just want to know if the stocking is OK :)

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Ok good for you that you have the capacity to pull off an awesome build. The polys won't have a chance with those bigger fish.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Ok good for you that you have the capacity to pull off an awesome build. The polys won't have a chance with those bigger fish.
Hmm, that sucks. I was actually thinking about it and what do you notice almost all of the fish on that tank are - Amazon fish. So why not replace the few fish in there that aren't from the amazon and then maybe tie in a system for them (or use the growouts to house them)?

A biotope tank of that size is very rarely seen outside of public aquariums, it would be pretty interesting.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Hmm, that sucks. I was actually thinking about it and what do you notice almost all of the fish on that tank are - Amazon fish. So why not replace the few fish in there that aren't from the amazon and then maybe tie in a system for them (or use the growouts to house them)?

A biotope tank of that size is very rarely seen outside of public aquariums, it would be pretty interesting.
Birchers aren't from South America...

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Is this Kangadrew?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I'm gonna guess the answer is no to this, but -

Has anyone had legitimate experience with piranhas in a community setting?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store