Another emergency?!

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Don’t want a dead fish in the morning -or at all!
W/no help until *at least* morning but more likely Saturday, I need fix ideas now. Should I lower the flow on the air stone? Turn down the pump? Worried if I do either tank conditions will hurt the fish. I have live plants i could add but don’t know what’s safe to put in? (Details below) Ppl familiar with the prop fix is it usually quick? Situation as follows:

@1am. Noticed our filter louder than usual. It’s got a rattling sound. Our goldfish is darting around like a madman clearly stressed by the extra noise. He has a hard time anyway as our tank is high current to keep oxygen in the water but he’s had no place to rest since my (well meaning) husband threw out the only remaining large plant, also given he had been needing to go up for air every so often (dissolved oxygen issues) so the worry he’s not getting enough air is even worse.

Its a hob filter so from looking things up I’m thinking it’s likely a propeller issue but I can’t do anything tonight with it (I am disabled/limited mobility) and the best I can hope for is help tomorrow morning- more realistically Saturday.

Fish were already struggling—waiting for the prep to finish on their 125g tank and have been stuck in a 37 gallon. Probably will be 1-2weeks. Pleco is approx 14” goldfish is nearly 4” weekly 50% water changes, (usually Saturdays) and at that point the only thing out of whack is usually nitrates are high mid 30s. API full test kit.

I have strawberry, eggplant, squash, cucumber, and bell pepper in our garden. I could yank a live plant at the root and put it in the tank-would that help? Which one?

Ugh. The forum should have an ‘emergency’ section. Help me keep them swimming! I’d be heartbroken if they passed anyway but we are SO close to getting them in their new home.

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
I’ll add that I’ve been terrified he’s going to get sucked into the filter. Since the plant came out last Saturday he’s been trying to rest-over and over he starts to float in the bubbles of our stone and drifts up then pulls out last second before hitting the filter :-( these fish need to be moved asap I know

what if I turn down the filter or air stone and just put some plants in-how much can they actually do???
I’m praying fish are ok in the morning, then I can send for plants from Petsmart but likely to still be afternoon and only the smallest plants are in stock...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You don't have anyone a friend or neihbor that's capable of unplugging the HOB filter and cleaning the impeller. You could even have them put a little Vaseline on the impeller magnet and see if that makes it quite.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Should I lower the flow on the air stone?
needing to go up for air every so often (dissolved oxygen issues
Hello; First keep the air bubbles rate high. If there is a dissolved Oxygen problem the air can help some.
waiting for the prep to finish on their 125g tank and have been stuck in a 37 gallon. Probably will be 1-2weeks. Pleco is approx 14” goldfish is nearly 4” weekly 50% water changes, (usually Saturdays) and at that point the only thing out of whack is usually nitrates are high mid 30s. API full test kit.
Hello; I understand some of this but not all. What is the delay in the prep of the 125 tank? I will make two different assumptions. First, If the 125 is ready other than getting it cycled then you likely do not need to wait to move the fish. You can move the filters and some other stuff from the 37 gallon and have the cycle working right away. Many threads on this in the forum.
Second, if the 125 is not physically fully set up then you will have to wait. I suspect the water changes (WC) need to be stepped up some. The things we can measure with a test kit are not all that can affect water quality. My best guess is more WC based on what you have posted so far.
I could yank a live plant at the root and put it in the tank-would that help? Which one?
Hello; I do not know how to rate the plants mentioned for being safe in an aquarium. I would not use any of those named without more knowledge. There are plants such as pothos many use in a tank. Even with a safe plant the effect will not be very quick. If you truly have a crisis some more immediate measures are needed.
The impeller in the filter may just need some attention. Many times mine have made noise and I was able to clean or adjust and get them back into service.

I know this does not help much. I am guessing a lot. More details might help. Keep the air up. Change the water more often. Maybe put a clean terra cotta pot or something else in for the fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
First It sounds like your fish are exhausted, I would try to figure something out to give them somewhere to rest. Slow the water flow...if you drop the water level a little the “water fall” from your filter should be sufficient for oxygen.

second Up you water change schedule as suggested.

good luck

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Don’t want a dead fish in the morning -or at all!
W/no help until *at least* morning but more likely Saturday, I need fix ideas now. Should I lower the flow on the air stone? Turn down the pump? Worried if I do either tank conditions will hurt the fish. I have live plants i could add but don’t know what’s safe to put in? (Details below) Ppl familiar with the prop fix is it usually quick? Situation as follows:

@1am. Noticed our filter louder than usual. It’s got a rattling sound. Our goldfish is darting around like a madman clearly stressed by the extra noise. He has a hard time anyway as our tank is high current to keep oxygen in the water but he’s had no place to rest since my (well meaning) husband threw out the only remaining large plant, also given he had been needing to go up for air every so often (dissolved oxygen issues) so the worry he’s not getting enough air is even worse.

Its a hob filter so from looking things up I’m thinking it’s likely a propeller issue but I can’t do anything tonight with it (I am disabled/limited mobility) and the best I can hope for is help tomorrow morning- more realistically Saturday.

Fish were already struggling—waiting for the prep to finish on their 125g tank and have been stuck in a 37 gallon. Probably will be 1-2weeks. Pleco is approx 14” goldfish is nearly 4” weekly 50% water changes, (usually Saturdays) and at that point the only thing out of whack is usually nitrates are high mid 30s. API full test kit.

I have strawberry, eggplant, squash, cucumber, and bell pepper in our garden. I could yank a live plant at the root and put it in the tank-would that help? Which one?

Ugh. The forum should have an ‘emergency’ section. Help me keep them swimming! I’d be heartbroken if they passed anyway but we are SO close to getting them in their new home.
Personally I wouldn't use any of those plants you mentioned. All are strictly terrestrial plants and will only die if placed in the water. Also with goldfish they don't need a high flow tank, they are a specie of carp and with breathe oxygen by gulping in air from the water surface when need be. Carp are mainly found in slow moving creeks and rivers or even still water ponds and lakes, you can even find them in the equivalent of just large muddy puddles. To me it sounds like the fish are struggling to keep up with such a high flow in the tank so if ya can try to find a way to reduce the flow.

I hope this helps some and that others will chime in with their own 2 cents on the matter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store