Bunch of jack dempsey questions

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
as the title suggests i have a few questions about jack dempseys.
here we go.

1- is a 65 gal suibtable for a pair?
2-is a boyu fef 230 suitable for a single/ pair dempsey?if not is there a suitable budget filter?
3-best food for dempseys
4-can a dempsey tank be planted?
5- any tips for these guys would be welcome ;)

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
1- Yes but in the long run no. They will outgrow it
2. Best filter for that size tank IMO is a sponge filter.
3. Hikari, New spectrum is what I use and good quality foods
4. Yes and No depending on the fish. Most likely NO lol

Is your sole purpose to breed these or to enjoy them and if they breed its a plus?

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
1- Yes but in the long run no. They will outgrow it
2. Best filter for that size tank IMO is a sponge filter.
3. Hikari, New spectrum is what I use and good quality foods
4. Yes and No depending on the fish. Most likely NO lol

Is your sole purpose to breed these or to enjoy them and if they breed its a plus?
i would like a pair of cichlids, but i dont like convicts and can only keep a 65 gal. but i love the look of dempseys and the fact that they can be wet pets

if they breed then i will see if any survive and sell those (if any grow up without special care)

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
i would like a pair of cichlids, but i dont like convicts and can only keep a 65 gal. but i love the look of dempseys and the fact that they can be wet pets

if they breed then i will see if any survive and sell those (if any grow up without special care)
They can hit 9-10" each so a 65 gallon might be too crammed for them in the long run for both of them in there. If they do end up breeding these cichlids got their name from a boxer...They can be a knockout quick in a smaller tank.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They can hit 9-10" each so a 65 gallon might be too crammed for them in the long run for both of them in there. If they do end up breeding these cichlids got their name from a boxer...They can be a knockout quick in a smaller tank.
oh dear.
sponge filters at my lfs only go up to 20Gal, could i use a canister and sponge?
are there other pairing cichlids / pairing fish that are good in a 65 long?

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Typically the males are much bigger than females once fully grown. I have kept jacks with plants before, and they never harmed them. Current pair doesn't pay any attention to them either.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
if dempsies are so big i might just go back to an african biotope.....

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
1.) Short term? Yes. Long term? No.

But you could actually have them in there for a while before having to upgrade. Jack dempseys grow very slowly. My 2 year old male is just barely above 7 inches. Also females only seldom hit the 7-7 1/2 inch mark while most males will top out at 9.

2.) Whatever filter that is affordable for you and turns over the water enough to keep it clean.

3.) I've used floating pellets, flakes and sinking pellets when growing out my Jacks. It all depends on what they'll eat and what is affordable for you.

Hikari sinking or floating could work.

4.) Not sure. It could work for a while until they decide to do some 'rearranging'. I can't really answer this one since I've never had them with plants.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
guys this thread is done, i am gonna get some mbuna

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store