COOL a big tank??!! URGENT!

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
urgent our tank is running too hot without a heater!

We have by the luck of life a goldfish and a pleco. We have kept our 37g tank at 75 degrees religiously but we are all set to move to our bigger tank 120g which is maintaining 4 degrees higher (close to 80!) no matter what we do. Goldfish like cold, pleco likes warm and 75 was always our sweet spot.

but now what can we do?
We really feel we *have* to transfer tank to tank- our big guy is too big to stick in a bucket and the stress of handling him in and out of the tank to bucket and then stuck in the bucket and then bucket to tank I just don’t see it working out.

I’d be worried about putting a goldfish into a tank that warm regardless of a transfer- I need some help here. Guessing maybe it’s because the new bigger tank is acrylic vs the old glass one but they are only a room apart. No direct sunlight etc.
We have heaters but they aren’t on because just at room temperature it is still too hot. They automatically would kick on if it got cold.

Our poor fish are stuck in their 37g. I’m concerned the longer we wait -the more can go wrong. Right now everything is perfect except the Temp. HELP!

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Maybe set up a fan to blow above the water. Do a water change, but with cold water. I don’t know if these will help long term or be efficient.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i’m not a goldfish expert but i’ve kept feeders for QT in my 75g - QT tank that’s heated to 80...

your room temp is over 80? may need a small chiller?

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
80 for pleco and goldfish is nothing. If you're worried about it just add more oxygen airstone powerhead etc.

Reactions: dr exum

rigby

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2020
urgent our tank is running too hot without a heater!

We have by the luck of life a goldfish and a pleco. We have kept our 37g tank at 75 degrees religiously but we are all set to move to our bigger tank 120g which is maintaining 4 degrees higher (close to 80!) no matter what we do. Goldfish like cold, pleco likes warm and 75 was always our sweet spot.

but now what can we do?
We really feel we *have* to transfer tank to tank- our big guy is too big to stick in a bucket and the stress of handling him in and out of the tank to bucket and then stuck in the bucket and then bucket to tank I just don’t see it working out.

I’d be worried about putting a goldfish into a tank that warm regardless of a transfer- I need some help here. Guessing maybe it’s because the new bigger tank is acrylic vs the old glass one but they are only a room apart. No direct sunlight etc.
We have heaters but they aren’t on because just at room temperature it is still too hot. They automatically would kick on if it got cold.

Our poor fish are stuck in their 37g. I’m concerned the longer we wait -the more can go wrong. Right now everything is perfect except the Temp. HELP!
“We really feel we *have* to transfer tank to tank-“
I know I’ve answered this before, but you are worrying too much about the acclimation process. Just use a large container instead of a bucket. Your pleco is one of the hardiest fish out there. He can survive in a bucket/container for an hour+ during the acclimation process.

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
i’m not a goldfish expert but i’ve kept feeders for QT in my 75g - QT tank that’s heated to 80...

your room temp is over 80? may need a small chiller?
you’ve kept them that high and they are ok? No signs of distress? Home is 72-76 w/AC on, that’s why we are so buggered on how to fix this :-(

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
I’m confused as to why your 120g is running so much warmer than your 37g. Different location? Lights? Pump? If you want to ultimately drop the temperature you need to find the underlying source.
we can’t figure it out. They are separated by about 10 feet. The smaller tank is glass and the bigger one is acrylic. If anything the smaller tank gets *more* light than the larger tank. (The small tank is across from a patio door which is covered with a blackout curtain. Occasionally the curtain is pushed a little aside- but this tank is the cooler one so it makes no sense).

any ideas for long term cause/solution?

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Fill Gatorade bottles or soda bottles with water and freaze them, then flot them i'm in the water. Also Remove all the lids and blow air across the top of a fish tank

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store