-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Whats your favorite DIY filter and media choice? I'm thinking of making a canister filter out of a 5 gallon pale and hook it up to my 125g for added filtration. I've seen a few different designs and ways to do it but curious to what you guys have came up with for DIY filtration and media ?

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
if you can get a small tank make a sump filter, 5 gal is small for a 125 gal tank unless fish stocking is low. My tank still has a fluval 403 that runs into a pond filter I filled with pot scrubbers then back into the tank. the fluval I bought in 1995 and has run constantly only shutting down for 3 yrs while I was at uni.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the sump option, and use 50 gallon barrels with filter socks for mechanical, and lava rock or a fluidized rector with aragonite as media, and buffer for bio media.

I also like lava rock in bio towers so water is constantly cascading, to oxygenate.

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Wow Duanes I wish I knew what I was doing and had a set up like that lol. Nice!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All parts and PVC for my bio towers are from any hardware store such as Lowes, Home Depot etc. They can be made as tall, or short or as wide as you want.

and filter media can be anything from lava rock, to dollar store scrubbies, to ceramic ring. In the end it doesn't;t matter what is used, they all grow filling in the gaps with biofilm and beneficial bacteria.

My priority is ease of maintenance (one of the reasons I don't pressurize anything).they work just as well unpressurized, and things don't need to be taken apart, or even stop flow, for cleaning.

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If you have an overflow sump all the way. I used a simple tote from HD and a plastic 4 drawer storage thing to make a sump and wet dry. Works great! Used mostly lava rock and plastic scrubbies. I did get a good deal on a box of bioballs so those are in there too. Those 5 gal canister filters are a tragedy waiting to happen unless they are above the tank. It's to much pressure when the pump is shut off to hold in the bucket. I tested it the only way I got it to work in a power off situation is with a sprinkler valve installed on the inlet. But if that fails then what?
20180210_173745.jpg

Reactions: markstrimaran
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store