Jack Dempsey tank idea! Does this work??

Jacob6556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
So I now have a 60 gallon tank, and ofcourse like all new tanks it’s empty. I was just wondering about what fish I should get. First I was think about just an Oscar but then I realized that one would just be to big and to much water cleaning required as the have a huge bioload. So I had an idea about JDs and I think one of those fish would be amazing along with some others! So do you guys think a 60 gallon tank with one jack Dempsey, and 3 other cichlids(maybe a convict, a African, and a green terror) and then a few dither fish(only because I read that jacks normally hide unless they can see it’s safe) would work in a 60 gallon aquarium? Keep in mind I have a huge filter under my tank and 3 pots and a 2 pieces of drift wood, but ofcourse decorations could be added or takin out.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Tank would still be on the small side for a full grown JD. Or a gt for that matter. It could work as a growout tank for awhile though. Certainly too small for several territorial cichlids like that.

I would say that tank would be better suited to the convicts you mentioned, perhaps a pair with some sturdy tankmates. Among african cichlids, the smaller growing hemichromis would work well too.

For a fish similar to a gt that would work well, consider blue acaras. Smaller, friendlier relatives of the gt.

Jacob6556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
Tank would still be on the small side for a full grown JD. Or a gt for that matter. It could work as a growout tank for awhile though. Certainly too small for several territorial cichlids like that.

I would say that tank would be better suited to the convicts you mentioned, perhaps a pair with some sturdy tankmates. Among african cichlids, the smaller growing hemichromis would work well too.

For a fish similar to a gt that would work well, consider blue acaras. Smaller, friendlier relatives of the gt.
Alright I’ll give that a shot I really love the looks of all cichlids and I think this would make a solid tank

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
A pair of blue or electric blue acaras and a school of goyder rainbow fish would be cool. This setup words for me, but I only have one acara.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Alright I’ll give that a shot I really love the looks of all cichlids and I think this would make a solid tank
Yeah i know its hard to choose sometimes. Have you kept a lot of cichlids before? To new cichlid keepers i will always recommend convicts ors blue acaras. They display a lot of the trademark cichlid traits in a manageable size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store