Large Flowerhorn Filtration Setup

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
Hey guys, just a quick discussion for all you filtration freaks out there.

I have a 4'x2'x28" with just one SRD flowerhorn cichlid. Im running an eheim 2217 (1000l/h) and an eheim 2215 (620l/h). For inside the tank im running a double canister filter by Qanvee and adding another soon, also putting in a small 200lt/h internal filter near the bottom just to push around the debris.

I do 20% waterchange every 3 days, ao once suring the week and once on the wknd.

Its basically 1600l/h flow through a 460ltr tank (conservative 460 because the water level only ever reaches upto 65cm and 120x60x65 is 468ltr.)
So with filttation maths, 460 goes into 1600 3.47 times so im getting 3.4 times turnaround per hour. Not a great deal but i only have 1 fish and although they grow fast, hea only 3 inch atm.

Now i do have another 2215 and a 2227 and a few 2213, too amall, that i have stored away so i have some options if needed.

Is this enough flow long term?
Can i improve this with some more equipment i have lying around?

Let me know whay you think. Ill attach a photo of the tank for reference

15769642338901805871620.jpg

Reactions: lp85253

The Silvs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2019
Leeds UK
My solo FH tank homes bash my male sbd. His home is the same size as yours if a little longer and a tad more shallow but our water is the same ammount. I run a twin sponge as i can see in the pic like you. I use a single FX6 unit as my main filter. This tank always reads great on my tests and it requires very little maintenance. I run no substrate and have instead tiled the bottom. I use the FX6 return water and blast it over the bottom of my tiles to lift detritus up into the water column. I also let my rear and sides of tank fill with algae. I find doing this stops bash from seeing his self on a night and has stopped him trying to fight glass. .. numpty. As long as I keep the bottom blast water going I've had no issues at all with my waters. I've also found that it isnt the FH waste you need to think about, more the bits that he spills everywhere as he eats his breakfast. Best of luck with it going forward :) although a few may disagree, I would recommend getting a lid on there. If bash sees his krill coming he is happy trying to RIP it out of my hand via a big jump, he ended up on the floor once :(. ...grim

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
I dont like having just one filter, if theres one thing ive learnt in this hobby its redundancy. Always having a back up, id rather have two smaller filters so i can alternate my servicing. When one gets cleaned the other is still running, and the biology of the tank isnt altered drastically. Also if one breaks im not In a panic looking to buy a replacement.

I have a lid on the tank of course, these are giants and can thrash around. Havent had any issues with the reflections tho. Although i may have with my first FH years ago. Interesting.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Your using Eheim canister filters. Unbelievably dependable. And sponges to back it up. At that tank size for one fully grown flowerhorn at that water change schedule... Your doing beyond. Which is great. No worries. You all fancy and stuff with your glass intake and out. Love it and so will he. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zanzag and lp85253

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
Cool, good to know. Starting to sound like i wanted a pat on the back but i was genuinely interested.
Cheers for the feedback

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Hey guys, just a quick discussion for all you filtration freaks out there.

I have a 4'x2'x28" with just one SRD flowerhorn cichlid. Im running an eheim 2217 (1000l/h) and an eheim 2215 (620l/h). For inside the tank im running a double canister filter by Qanvee and adding another soon, also putting in a small 200lt/h internal filter near the bottom just to push around the debris.

I do 20% waterchange every 3 days, ao once suring the week and once on the wknd.

Its basically 1600l/h flow through a 460ltr tank (conservative 460 because the water level only ever reaches upto 65cm and 120x60x65 is 468ltr.)
So with filttation maths, 460 goes into 1600 3.47 times so im getting 3.4 times turnaround per hour. Not a great deal but i only have 1 fish and although they grow fast, hea only 3 inch atm.

Now i do have another 2215 and a 2227 and a few 2213, too amall, that i have stored away so i have some options if needed.

Is this enough flow long term?
Can i improve this with some more equipment i have lying around?

Let me know whay you think. Ill attach a photo of the tank for reference

View attachment 1398829
you have "more than enough" filtration.. do yourself a favor , stay away from the filtration and set up potion of this website .. that way you won't get talked into wasting money on(un-needed) overfitration... btw , i like the clean look , and it's easier to maintain...

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
Bad news... He found a gap and jumped out this morning...
Found him on the floor at 6am. He was still freshly out gasping so i popped him back in, thank God i was awake and walking past, i know how fast these things dry up. Hes not looking amazing. Still ate later today but is obviously showing stress signs and belly is bloated. Its a 6ft drop so its to be expected but i will be doing some reno's to his tank And filling the small gaps. Hope he makes it. Heres a picture.

15777769473941218725358.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store