MARBLED/CALICO CONVICT BREEDERS - INFO / GENETICS THREAD

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Thank you!
Not all convicts get that hump - and usually it does not come up until they are (this) size - approx 3 - 4 inches.

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
What's up fellas. I have been following this thread since it was started. I just wanted to wait until I could bring something to the table. I have a calico pair and a pair that is a marble male with a regular female. Check out my vid and let me know if my fish are worthy of this project. Excuse the carpintis pair in the middle of the vid... http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=K35y8RhxXoM

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Absolutely! Just please stick with facts. I'm really trying to figure out the genetics on these.

For example, I'm especially curious if the calico pair will produce any all-pink fry.

This project is throwing some unusual curveballs, as you probably have picked up. Here is a NEW curveball. Out of the pink fry, none appear to be female (yet.)

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Absolutely! Just please stick with facts. I'm really trying to figure out the genetics on these.

For example, I'm especially curious if the calico pair will produce any all-pink fry.

This project is throwing some unusual curveballs, as you probably have picked up. Here is a NEW curveball. Out of the pink fry, none appear to be female
Calicoes will not produce pink or black unless crossed with one or other.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
She's not a calico but het with no visible marbling. I have two of her sisters who are the same. Ill try to get pics of the parents.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360423235.292802.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360423256.019573.jpg

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
That remains to be seen.

If anyone else has bred calico to calico, have you seen any pink fry ?

Doom - your "she" is a male.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
That remains to be seen.

If anyone else has bred calico to calico, have you seen any pink fry ?
The batch she and siblings came from had no pinks or black just heavy and lightly marbled and some that were just white

Dude really!? A Male ? I didn't know males laid eggs

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I guess the orange is not showing up in the pics.

I'm not sure what you mean - you said there were no pink - but the female you show is a pink. If a pink convict has no marbling, it's a .... pink.

So, those two are the parents. What did the fry turn out to be ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store