My favorite weirdos (bichir tank video)

Chi-Chi

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
USA
www.patrickgreenemusic.com
Hey all!

I'm about to switch this tank over to a sand substrate (finally), and then the whole gang's moving into a 120g later in the spring. So this is sort of the last hurrah for this particular setup, which has been running more or less interrupted for the last decade.

The tank's a mess, but the fish were happy and active and I figured I'd capture it while I could. I'll post more once the new setup's in place. :)

Hope you enjoy it!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Great vid... love the tank. Can list the inhabitants and tell use more about them

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Fantastic video! Just repeating what everybody all ready mentioned: I love the transitions and the background music. Every poly got a feature lol! They all look really happy and healthy. Your senegal is impressive.

The polys should be really excited when they get to play on the sand. Excited to see more!

Chi-Chi

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
USA
www.patrickgreenemusic.com
Thanks, everyone!

Great vid... love the tank. Can list the inhabitants and tell use more about them
Here's a rundown of the fish in that setup at the moment:
  • P. senegalus ("Sammy")
  • P. senegalus (albino; "Han Solo")
  • P. delhezi x2 ("Gately" and "Lenore")
  • P. palmas palmas ("Maurice")
  • P. lapradei ("Dmitri")
  • P. lapradei sp. koloton (the one missing a left pectoral fin; "Nikolai")
  • E. calabaricus ("Rufus")
So Sammy (the huge senegal) deserves a whole post of her own; I'll separate that as a response to the next question. Other than that, some notes on this motley group:

We've had Han Solo (albino senegal) for about a year and a half; he's extremely inquisitive and has a really sweet temperament, but hasn't grown very much. He eats very healthily, and he's got a great sense of smell, so I'm thinking he might just be genetically a bit of a shortie. Doesn't seem to matter to him, though; he parades around with Sammy for at least 15 hours of the day. They're like a couple of dogs or something.

The delhezis came at the same time. Lenore (the lighter one with very few bands) is beautiful but sort of reclusive; her "brother" Gately is a bruiser. He's the best krill-snatcher I've probably ever had. He stays pretty low in the tank until the moment the krill hit the water—then he launches like a freakin' Tomahawk.

Maurice, the palmas, is an incredibly elegant animal. He's actually really peaceful. He behaves a little more like a lower-jaw bichir than some of the other upper-jaws I've had through the years; he likes to stake out a territory and kind of lumber around until it's time to either reposition himself or swim. Luckily, that territory is often on top of plants and decor, so he's very visible. He has lots of green on his back, which is pretty gorgeous.

The lapradeis are really special to me. Nikolai was mislabeled as a senegal; I told the LFS that they could probably get a lot more for him than what they were charging me, but they gave him to me for a song anyways. He's very regal. The koloton is the newest member of the posse (got him about six months ago; he has more than doubled in TL since then). I have no idea what happened to his pectoral fin, but I do know that that "defect" convinced the LFS to sell him to me for $70. Which—considering he's one of the rarest variants in the whole bichir scene—was pretty hard to pass up. He's a very social fish, especially for a lap. And he swims ridiculously because of the missing fin, so he's adorable. He actually eats quite well, and retains some mobility.

The ropefish, Rufus, is freakin' cute. He rounds out the tank really well.

Wow really nice, im amaze on the senegals size. How big is it?
Yeah, that's Sammy—she's a born star. We've been together for about 11 years; she's actually the whole reason I got really into fish-keeping in the first place. She's probably about 13" TL or so, but what's most impressive is her girth. I think she must have something strange going on genetically; she eats more than twice what any other bichir I've had eats, but she's almost in constant motion (except when she's sleeping). She just metabolizes like a little dinosaur or something.

She's also noticeably smarter than pretty much any fish I've had (including cichlids). She recognizes different members of the family, watches television when it's on, responds to music being played in the room, goes to different strata of the tank depending on which bag of food she sees (floating vs. sinking), etc. She's a really special animal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store