Pleco food change/ripped fin recovery

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Hi All
First off a great big thank you to the whole Monster Fish Community for all the help, advice, and support over the last few years...

Q.1
So Our Pleco Squiggly suffered a ripped anal fin about a week ago from unknown source. No changes prior to the injury and the water has been clear. The injury seems to be having trouble healing and I was thinking of trying to mix up his nutrition a bit. The only veg he seems to like is broccoli and even then he can be particular (won’t eat fresh from the garden only grocery store) and right now his tank is too small for him so to keep his tank clean while we are shopping his big tank we have limited his broccoli to 3 days a week. Any thoughts on any of these:

API Algae eater wafers
Sera Catfish Wafers
Repashy morning wood
Other suggestions?

Q.2: any thoughts on adding an antibiotic? Which one? there is just the goldfish and him

Other Notes:
As far as how he got hurt we don’t know but the same day last week we did notice our goldfish gulping air despite clear tests (low ammonia, ph6.8 etc) and remembered (having done research after a mass loss a few years ago) that the cold weather has some unknown affect on our water and we had done a water change not long before then.

We completed an immediate water change using our same chemical treatments but going on the theory that the chlorinate may need longer to dissipate in the cold and letting it sit longer. They were swimming happier (no more gulping) after the change. Now whether it’s actually leached chem from pipes or the city using diff chem treatment in colder weather I do not know.

We completed an immediate water change using our same chemical treatments but going on the theory that the chlorinate may need longer to dissipate in the cold and letting it sit longer. They were swimming happier (no more gulping) after the change. Now whether it’s actually leached chem from pipes or the city using diff chem treatment in colder weather I do not know.

thanks again
YS

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Not sure why you are seeing any ammonia on your water test, what are the results for nitrite and nitrate?

What chemical treatments are you referring to? Did you mean a dechlorinator, if so which product are you using?

Do you know which species your Pleco is, post a couple clear pics if you can?

I would not use an antibiotic if you aren't sure what to treat for.

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Everything is literally near zero, we keep our tank cycled at near zero and test with both strips and chem testing kits and we run the water pre-change, the buckets after setting with Prime, and the water post change and again 24 hrs later. Very ocd about it. He’s a sail fin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store