Quick Newbie Question..

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
New to the forum guys.
Would love some frienldy advice on my new tank setup.

Have had my 3" RD flowerhorn in a 70Ltr tank for a while.
Cichlids are pretty hardy so never took too much notice of water parameters (i know.. i know..)
Always did bi weekly water changes and checked my pH tho, stable at mid to high 7's.

I have been cleaning up a BB 150ltr tank set up for him to move to. Took a while because i had been building a custom stand for it. Bought everything and installed it, had the filter running for 5 nights, periodically adding the old water to the new tank as it went on.

Going back a few weeks ago i realised the old heater had been playing up and was not heating at the right temp, so i turned it up a click a day and it seemed to travel slowly, very slow (cheap chinese brand) but basically it was indicating at 35 degrees but in reality it was sitting on 25-27 for a while. A week later i realised the old tanks heater had travelled 3.5 degrees overnight and i panicked a little. I had to go to work and didn't trust the heater indicator at all by now. At this point i had been running the tank for almost 6 days, heater in and all getting ready for the lil monster. I had planned on moving the 2 yoyo loaches he lives first but i didnt. I decided to move the Flowerhorn early thinking that because I've been adding the old tank water to it, if i get him in there and set up the old filter along side the new one all should be fine...

I plan to take my water to be tested today at my LFS and buy a test kit.

I'm at work now wondering how my boy will be holding up and if there is anything i can do to stablize the rush job ive created for myself. Just wanted some advice on what i should expect to happen.

Ill post a pic of him when I've reached my post count

Thanks guys

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
First off welcome to MFK. if you don't trust the heater get rid of it. Or get a controller. Many a tank has been fried by a faulty heater.
As for the filters your thinking is Correct if you run the new one with the old it will give the new one a chance to get the proper bacteria going.

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
First off welcome to MFK. if you don't trust the heater get rid of it. Or get a controller. Many a tank has been fried by a faulty heater.
As for the filters your thinking is Correct if you run the new one with the old it will give the new one a chance to get the proper bacteria going.
Thanks for taking the time to read bud.
I threw the old one in the bin as soon as i noticed the spike in temp.
Luckily i had bought a nice Fluval heater with digital therm so i can monitor it well. Also the filter im running an Aqua One Nautilus 800 in the new tank.

Main concern is will the fish be fine and what extra precautions should one take with this kind of introduction to the new tank. I've read some say daily water changes for the first couple weeks while monitoring the nitrites?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Yeah you should test as the tank cycles. The ammonia will show first and you will either need to do frequent water changes or add something to absorb it. Then you will see the ammonia slowly decline as the nitrites rise continue with the maintenance until the nitrites start down you will see the nitrates go up. At this point your tank is fully cycled.

jsoto2005

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
Great, will do.
Thanks BIG-D.
Hope the lil guy doesn't get too bothered.
I did notice the yoyo's flashing a little here and there, i hope the water conditioner inst bothering them too much, doesn't seem to look anywhere near like a algae bloom but maybe,actually its vey clear. I'll take it easy on the conditioner next WC.. I've heard people put a small amount of salt in each WC but yet to try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store