SEEKING ADVICE: New Tank (Fish Suggestions and Setup)

SpookyBat

Feeder Fish
Mar 31, 2020
Hi everyone! ? ?

Since all of you are very knowledgeable, any and all help is appreciated.
The tank is a roughly 43 gallon eurobraced acrylic (48in L X 13in W X 16in H). Planning to upgrade in the future, for larger fish.

I have a sump setup, but I need advice on a lighting/heating setup, bacteria starters, and substrate.
I decided on red garnet sand, but I want to make sure that I buy the correct grit and from a reputable seller. I have read that sandblaster 30/40 grit is best. I am currently looking at Barton.

For fish, I would love to get a gar, but I'm guessing this tank isn't large enough?
If anyone has any suggestions on interesting exotic fish... I would love to hear. My other option was to get angelfish (or discus).

Thanks!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Welcome to MFK! Not too sure on the sands, but the tank is definitely too small for Gar and Discus, angelfish are a maybe. I have not kept them so can't give you a definitive answer but most people prefer having a taller (18-20"+) tank for angels. Your width is a little limiting for some other fish, but plenty that could work! What are your interests? :D

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Angelfish would work, but they would prefer a taller tank as through my experience they don’t like to be towards the bottom. Blue acaras and a school of tetras could work also.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Few puffers - Amazon

welcome and good luck!

SpookyBat

Feeder Fish
Mar 31, 2020
Welcome to MFK! Not too sure on the sands, but the tank is definitely too small for Gar and Discus, angelfish are a maybe. I have not kept them so can't give you a definitive answer but most people prefer having a taller (18-20"+) tank for angels. Your width is a little limiting for some other fish, but plenty that could work! What are your interests? :D
Thanks, it's nice to meet you! Yea for now, I'll probably end up at least getting a pair of angels and a redtail shark. Unfortunately, this tank isn't large enough for a Black Ghost Knifefish, a Gar, or an Arowana... which I would LOVE to own. One day I plan to get a much larger aquarium so I can get some larger species of fish. I've had all sorts of fish in the past like discus and angels. I'm also into reptiles. I'm excited to be getting back into fish again. ?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks, it's nice to meet you! Yea for now, I'll probably end up at least getting a pair of angels and a redtail shark. Unfortunately, this tank isn't large enough for a Black Ghost Knifefish, a Gar, or an Arowana... which I would LOVE to own. One day I plan to get a much larger aquarium so I can get some larger species of fish. I've had all sorts of fish in the past like discus and angels. I'm also into reptiles. I'm excited to be getting back into fish again. ?
Good to plan it out nicely. If you can find them, smaller rainbowfish species would make for a vibrant display!

Shark75

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
As much as I think Red-tailed Sharks are a cool fish they really can become a PITA. I wouldn't personally keep them with Angels but like pretty much anything in this hobby it could work, just be aware. What could work better with the RTS is a Firemouth Cichlid. They are definitely tough enough to not be harassed but also usually not too aggressive either. Note I said usually. Have those two fish and find a hardy schooling fish to go with them. Could have giant danios, Buenos aires tetra, tiger barbs etc. Good luck with whatever you decide!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store