Sponge filter for jardini arowana and oscar tank

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
Hello MFK members, ive been fishkeeping for a while now so i think im ready to get a bigger tank, I was planning on starting a 6 foot long 125 gal with a jardini arowana and maybe adding an oscar or two down the road.. my question is would a 2 sponge filters rated for 125 gallons work for the tank or should i have a canister filter on top of the sponges also? Thank you anyone who can help :)

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hello MFK members, ive been fishkeeping for a while now so i think im ready to get a bigger tank, I was planning on starting a 6 foot long 125 gal with a jardini arowana and maybe adding an oscar or two down the road.. my question is would a 2 sponge filters rated for 125 gallons work for the tank or should i have a canister filter on top of the sponges also? Thank you anyone who can help :)
I would personally add a canister filter, as besides extra mechanical/bio filtration, it will also give you some good flow on the return, which will help with water distribution/oxygen exchange in the tank (just don't be lazy about cleaning the canister filter like so many of us do:) If you only have sponge filters doing your mechanical filtration they'll probably get gunked up pretty fast, esp. if you have any Oscars in the tank, they're messy eaters/re-decorators.

But still a good idea to have those sponge filters, esp. when it comes times to get a bigger tank for the jardini down the road when it's older/larger, then easy to get a new tank almost instantly cycled by popping in 1 or 2 of your sponge filters to start the process.

BassHuntin900

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2019
Sacramento, California
I would personally add a canister filter, as besides extra mechanical/bio filtration, it will also give you some good flow on the return, which will help with water distribution/oxygen exchange in the tank (just don't be lazy about cleaning the canister filter like so many of us do:) If you only have sponge filters doing your mechanical filtration they'll probably get gunked up pretty fast, esp. if you have any Oscars in the tank, they're messy eaters.

But still a good idea to have those sponge filters, esp. when it comes times to get a bigger tank for the jardini down the road when it's older/larger, then easy to get a new tank almost instantly cycled by popping in 1 or 2 of your sponge filters to start the process.

okay! thank you so much for the input! :)

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I wouldnt go by the manufacturers rating. Filter size is relative to bio load not soo much tank size. A 125 with 2 oscars and a jardini will have a pretty big bioload.

How long are you planning on keeping them in the 125 ?

If it were me id go with 2 ac 110s to start out. Adding a 3rd as they grow. Hobs are just easier to maintain. You could get poret foam from swiss tropicals to replace the foam that comes with the hobs. Its much more dense. 30ppi is the perfect size

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I love sponge filters and think every tank should have one as a SUPPLEMENTAL filtration, not as a primary filter (unless it's a small tank with light stock). I would recommend a canister filter along with the sponge filters.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As others have already stated, a sponge filter is a great addition to a tank so then when you need to setup a new tank, you can move the filter over to quickly seed the new tanks filtration...

Now for the important bit, as others have mentioned, a 125G will only really work as grow out tank for a silver aro, so you’ll need to have plans for an upgrade tank around the 250-300G+ to keep it for life...

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Watch out for aggression with jardini arowana and

r u trying to breed him.
If talking to me, I have breed him, several times actually. Shortly his fry should show up on The Wet Spots inventory. I took about a hundred 1/2 in fry in a week or so back. If you didn't know I have a journal on him here

Sorry for the thread derail just answering a question

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store