Too much for 120 South America?

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
Hi, I am looking to stock my 120 into a South American tank, with abit of plants and wood.
the sump is trigger systems crystal sump 36

READ THIS
:
I plan to keep all the fish from fry or small size and not have to upgrade to keep them after they grow up!

STOCKING IDEA:
5 x Pictus Catfish - 6inch each Max
2 x Zebra Angelfish - 6inch Max
5 x Regular Silver Dollars - 6inch Max
1 x Fire Oscar - 12inch Max

Tell me is this too much? Tell me is this too less, can I add more? and I dont want to get rid of the Silvers, Oscar, or Cats, but I may if I really have to.

OPEN TO OTHER SOUTH AMERICAN FISH TANKMATES

And PLEASE does anyone know of any CRAYFISH from SOUTH AMERICA (ONLY CRAYFISH)

and also some good plants...

BTW the way I am stocking this is ONE BIG ATTRACTIVE FISH AND SEVERAL DIFFERENT SMALL SCHOOLING ONES, as of right now these fish logically should get along, tho I am aware predictability is out the door.

THANK YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!:)

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Skip the pictus and get one of its bigger cousins like p. Ornatus. The Pictus are to small when grown and could kill both your Oscar and the catfish if it tries to eat one.

The rest look fine except the angels maybe. I myself have an Oscar in a 125 with SD's and a p. Ornatus. 20180520_175330.jpg

The Ornatus is under the red rock on the left. And you can see the SD's and Toni my Oscar.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I like your stocking ideas, but will discourage the pictus cats. When your oscar puts on some size he will eat them, or try to eat them and injure himself on their spines.

You'll need fewer, larger pimelodus like blochii or ornatus if they are to survive. I think 120 is a bit small for a group of 5 ornatus.

Reactions: Jexnell

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
The SDs might be a handful when they max out. Very skittish around people. Ones I had would lose scales every weekend when I WC or whenever anyone walks past.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree with what has been said already, a single pimelodus instead of the pictus would probably be better. The silver dollars, if you like them, you could do with no problem. They are a skittish fish, especially in smaller tanks, but not always. Personally I would do 3 pinktail chalceus instead of the SD's, but that's just my preference.
Angels, I would replace with a bulkier SA species like guianacara gaeyi or blue acara. With such a boisterous fish as the Oscar, the angels might be outcompeted for food, and they are a little more fragile than most cichlids.

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
Skip the pictus and get one of its bigger cousins like p. Ornatus. The Pictus are to small when grown and could kill both your Oscar and the catfish if it tries to eat one.

The rest look fine except the angels maybe. I myself have an Oscar in a 125 with SD's and a p. Ornatus. View attachment 1316192

The Ornatus is under the red rock on the left. And you can see the SD's and Toni my Oscar.
Hi, would an 8 inch cat Fish work out okay, do you know any south america that are active?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you really want the silver dollars, and can do more than 100% water change over the course of the week later on as they get bigger, I would just stock with an oscar and 8 silver dollars (remove the 2 angels). The silver dollars will easily keep the bottom of the tank clean, so no need for a bottom dwelling fish to eat any uneaten food because there won't be any with Sds around. A shoal of 8+ SDs act act differently than a shoal of 5.

Kingster

Piranha
MFK Member
May 21, 2018
I agree with what has been said already, a single pimelodus instead of the pictus would probably be better. The silver dollars, if you like them, you could do with no problem. They are a skittish fish, especially in smaller tanks, but not always. Personally I would do 3 pinktail chalceus instead of the SD's, but that's just my preference.
Angels, I would replace with a bulkier SA species like guianacara gaeyi or blue acara. With such a boisterous fish as the Oscar, the angels might be outcompeted for food, and they are a little more fragile than most cichlids.
Okay so now I think I will go with:
1 x Oscar
2 x guianacara gaeyi
4 x Silver Dollars
2 x Pimelouds Maculatus

Do you know is this is over stocked?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store