Feeding my Sun Cat problems

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
So I have a sun cat with 2 oscars. All three fish are about the same size 3-4" ( sun cat is slightly smaller). But im having trouble feeding my sun cat.

I researched that you should feed the catfish so that it should always have slight bump in the belly. i havent able to acheive that. i feed my oscars periodically throughout the day, and add some extra food at night when i turn out the lights so that the catfish can eat.

What can i do/change so that my catfish gets enough food?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
How long have you had that cat. My sun cat was greedy. If yours gets hungry I think it'll make it to the food in time, otherwise could be getting bullied or something within the water may be bothering it. Could check parameters to be safe. Or if new it could be settling in still.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Feed at opposite ends of the tank. Floating food for the O's and sinking for the cat.
My oscars prefer sinking pellets over floating pellets. Feeding at opposite sides of the tank might not work cause the fish in a quarintine tank (10 gallon) so the current from the filter and just the generally small size of the tank might make feeding at opposite sides of the tank pointless. But im still new to fish keeping so what do i know.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
How long have you had that cat. My sun cat was greedy. If yours gets hungry I think it'll make it to the food in time, otherwise could be getting bullied or something within the water may be bothering it. Could check parameters to be safe. Or if new it could be settling in still.
ive had the cat for about 3 weeks, but i had to move it to the quarantine tank cause i have to do a reseal on the main tank. its definitely eating food cause it hasnt died, and i dont think its bullied cause the oscars tend to avoid the cat, especially when it starts swimming near them.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Also, im feeding my catfish the same thing im feeding my oscars: slow sinking cichlid pellets. Do i need to feed the cat something different, or is what im currently feeding them good for now? (i do plan on feeding more meaty foods-shrimp, worms, etc-once the fish grow bigger)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
ive had the cat for about 3 weeks, but i had to move it to the quarantine tank cause i have to do a reseal on the main tank. its definitely eating food cause it hasnt died, and i dont think its bullied cause the oscars tend to avoid the cat, especially when it starts swimming near them.
Only had it for 3 weeks and moved it within that period. The fish could very well still be settling in. And fish can go long without eating. Because hes alive doesn’t mean he’s eaten anything. Sinking pellets are probably the best. If it doesn’t take to the ones you offer could try shrimp pellets or carnivore pellets.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I can't add much to what Moe said.

Chances are the sun cat hasn't reached an adequate comfort zone yet. I'd not worry about it if it has no damage on itself and otherwise behaves reasonably. They indeed are greedy fish. Cichlid pellets should be taken with gusto, sooner or later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store