Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Imo a 75 is only suitable for one 10"-12" fish. And you're talking about five fish that size.
And good luck only having two or three. Eventually you'll just have one owning the tank with the second and/or third fish stressed to hell.
well idk if i failed to mention that i'm thinking of getting them as babies but yeah for sure you're right, after seeing that red devil, once they're passed like 6-7 inches the tank will be way too small all of them.
when you say only one 10-12 inch fish, does that mean that only that and nothing else?

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
can you guys suggest any smaller american cichlids? I like the blue acara, and convict, not sure if a convict would be too aggressive to keep with an acara though. I've read that firemouth stay pretty small too and are not all that aggressive either

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I figured you get them as little guys. But I wanted to press that a 75 won't work for very long.
And yes, I mean one fish 10-12" fish in that tank.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Convict, fire mouth, blue acara... I think you're more likely to find electric blue acaras though. Keyhole cichlids. Female salvini don't get too big.

Reactions: Sizzy905

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I figured you get them as little guys. But I wanted to press that a 75 won't work for very long.
And yes, I mean one fish 10-12" fish in that tank.
Yeah you know right now I'm looking at my oscars and they're about 6.5 inches right now and now I'm processing how big 12 inches actually is so I see how flawed my original plan was lol

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
Convict, fire mouth, blue acara... I think you're more likely to find electric blue acaras though. Keyhole cichlids. Female salvini don't get too big.
Yeah all those are available at my lfs except for the salvini I don't think I've seen any, but I'll look into it.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The advice given by ehh is good advice.Less is more when it comes to successful cichlid keeping.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
This is basically a 12" fish. My old jag that was electrocuted. He took up every bit of a 125. I have some more pics of 12"+ fish, but they're on a thumb drive.
Yeah you know right now I'm looking at my oscars and they're about 6.5 inches right now and now I'm processing how big 12 inches actually is so I see how flawed my original plan was lol

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Out your original stock a Freddy and a convict might work for years. However the Freddy would eventually need the tank to itself. All males work best in these scenarios as well in my experience.

There's a lot of weeding out trouble makers for an aggressive community to work and I wouldn't even bother with anything under 180 gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store