Need help, with my fish and tanks

JenniferJds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
I don't know what's wrong. My flowerhorn is 4" and right know he is in the hospital tank. Because for some reason every time he is in the 55 gallon he starts acting weird. He starts being scared, hitting himself, sitting at the bottom of the tank. I have test the water and everything is okay, temperature is 82° and his filtration canister is a fluval 405 so i know he has good filtration and then he has a sponge filter, he has gravel, not a lot. Then he has new LED lights. But when i do put him in the hospital tank that is 10 gallon. He is perfectly fine. He comes down and he slowly start coming back to himself. So i don't know what's wrong. I think he might not like the LED lights. So please someone help me. Please

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; hard to say from the information you have given.
My first thought is that some other fish in the 55 gallon is a dominant and the flowerhorn is at the bottom of the pecking order. However you did not mention any other fish.
I can make more useless guesses but without more info or perhaps a few pictures, guesses are all they will be.

JenniferJds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Hello; hard to say from the information you have given.
My first thought is that some other fish in the 55 gallon is a dominant and the flowerhorn is at the bottom of the pecking order. However you did not mention any other fish.
I can make more useless guesses but without more info or perhaps a few pictures, guesses are all they will be.
No there no other fish with him.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; My next guess is that because the tank is bare the fish does not have a place of cover. I have found many times that fish are out and about more when they have a sheltered place to run to.
This can be a planted tank. It can be a stack of rocks although I do not use stacked rocks anymore. It can be as simple as a terra cotta pot or two on their side.

I do like to stack slate as hiding spots.

Note; stacked rocks can work if they are very stable or are somehow glued together. A stack of loose rocks on a glass bottom tank can lead to disaster.

Reactions: J. H.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would suggest to lower the temps to 78 degrees. Dim the lights and make sure there are plants and decor so it’ll feel safe if you decide to retry.

JenniferJds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Hello; My next guess is that because the tank is bare the fish does not have a place of cover. I have found many times that fish are out and about more when they have a sheltered place to run to.
This can be a planted tank. It can be a stack of rocks although I do not use stacked rocks anymore. It can be as simple as a terra cotta pot or two on their side.

I do like to stack slate as hiding spots.

Note; stacked rocks can work if they are very stable or are somehow glued together. A stack of loose rocks on a glass bottom tank can lead to disaster.
Thank you i took the rocks out and he does have a shelter to run to. Is with him in the 10gallon tank. Is a PBC plumbing pipe. This is how the tank looks know. This other guy told me to take the rocks out and to put a divider and to keep my light white.

1517167114812447544139.jpg

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't know what's wrong. My flowerhorn is 4" and right know he is in the hospital tank. Because for some reason every time he is in the 55 gallon he starts acting weird. He starts being scared, hitting himself, sitting at the bottom of the tank. I have test the water and everything is okay, temperature is 82° and his filtration canister is a fluval 405 so i know he has good filtration and then he has a sponge filter, he has gravel, not a lot. Then he has new LED lights. But when i do put him in the hospital tank that is 10 gallon. He is perfectly fine. He comes down and he slowly start coming back to himself. So i don't know what's wrong. I think he might not like the LED lights. So please someone help me. Please
I ve never kept them try puttin some coverage or places he can hide behind clay flower pots a stack of stones or some large plumbing pipes. And perhaps keep the lights off for a while so he can feel hidden and safe. I’ve read that an empty tank with no other fish or objects can be stressful as a lack of tank mates or for him not seeing anyone else around him could suggest danger.

JenniferJds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
I ve never kept them try puttin some coverage or places he can hide behind clay flower pots a stack of stones or some large plumbing pipes. And perhaps keep 9the lights off for a while so he can feel hidden and safe. I’ve read that an empty tank with no other fish or objects can be stressful as a lack of tank mates or for him not seeing anyone else around him could suggest danger.
He does have a hidden place is with him right know in the hospital tank is a PBC Plumbing pipe. But he was all okay, until i change his light, and i change the top cover, and i change his food, it was a medicine, because he always had a big belly. He can't be with another fish because this type of fish are very aggressive, he will be attacking them or eating them. But i have divided the tank, so i can get another flowerhorn. That's how he use to look, but because he is stress, his colors have faded and his head went down and he is very dark. I have added in his hospital tank High mineral .FB_IMG_1511395357147.jpg FB_IMG_1511368099341.jpg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
all okay, until i change his light, and i change the top cover, and i change his food, it was a medicine, because he always had a big belly
hello; Some useful information here. Well you seem to have decided the cause is among these three things. Time to do some checking of these things.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store