Need help, with my fish and tanks

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The light is definitely gonna be a source for stress if it’s considerably brighter. I recently got some new aqua illumination leds and even at 25% they are considerably brighter than my old lights and I needed to acclimate my fish to the new lighting and did that over the course of a month (perhaps overkill on time frame). And a change in food is definitely gonna be a good source of stress may have been easier to mix some of the new food in with the food you were previously feeding in small increments and then wean him off of the older food and onto the newer one.

Don’t stress - over reacting can cause more damage so be patient with the feeding and Try shorter periods of lighting and gradually increase those periods of time as you see his stress level reduce and he becomes more comfortable. Don’t know how the new top of the tank would impact his stress level.

JenniferJds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
The light is definitely gonna be a source for stress if it’s considerably brighter. I recently got some new aqua illumination leds and even at 25% they are considerably brighter than my old lights and I needed to acclimate my fish to the new lighting and did that over the course of a month (perhaps overkill on time frame). And a change in food is definitely gonna be a good source of stress may have been easier to mix some of the new food in with the food you were previously feeding in small increments and then wean him off of the older food and onto the newer one.

Don’t stress - over reacting can cause more damage so be patient with the feeding and Try shorter periods of lighting and gradually increase those periods of time as you see his stress level reduce and he becomes more comfortable. Don’t know how the new top of the tank would impact his stress level.
Thank you for the advice. I would definitely try that with the lights. I didn't change his food, i was giving him medicated food, for his stomach problems. But he is back eating his old food. Let see what happens. I hope everything goes well.

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

JenniferJds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017

Thank you for the advice, i will definitely do that with the lights. But i didn't change his food, i was giving him medicated food because he always had a bloated stomach. Yeah definitely I'll be patient for him to turn back to himself.

JenniferJds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017

Hey, i figure out what he was afraid of. He didn't like the cover. I put the old one back, he slowly started acting himself and being active, he gets spook a little, but he isn't afraid of me . All he wants to do is eat lol. His colors are coming back, just being patient for his hump to grow back. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again.

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He definitely is a character !! But cichlids are weirdos and I ve found do have fixations with weird things. One of my zebras loves to sit on top of my power head and will go wherever I place it to sit on it and will chase anyone that comes near it. Glad you solved it !!

JenniferJds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
hello; Some useful information here. Well you seem to have decided the cause is among these three things. Time to do some checking of these things.

Good luck
Need help again, my 2 flowerhorn are very stress. They both have their own tanks. My 7" is in a 100 gallon tank and my 5" is in a 55 gallon, he has a divider. I recently change their water, I took 50% trying to clean the gravel cuz it was very dirty on both tank with their poop. Ever since I changed their water I noticed a change on both flowerhorns, they both started becoming very stress, my 7" stays on top of the water and then my 5" stays at the bottom corner and he is all dark. But then I started noticing that they will start swimming very crazy like up and down like if they wanted to get out of the water hitting himself against the glass like if they were afraid of being inside the tank an even doing that they will become very weak and start breathing very heavy. They don't want to eat. I tested their water but I knew it was going to be out of balance because I added stress coat and water condition. But on my 100g tank his pH was low and his ammonia was kinda of high and my 55g his pH was kinda low and his ammonia was actually perfect. So what I did next I change there carbon on both tank. Today I'm going to go to Petco and make them test my water and see what's actually going on and to see what can I do cuz at this moment I do not know what to do they are very stress. Oh and both of my flowerhorn tank don't have other fish in the tank they are on their own. My 5" has a cave to hide, they both have heaters they were on 83 but I don't know if I should turn it off or keep it on.

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Need to check the nitrate and nitrite. When cleaning that much water which is ok you need to remember your removing considerable amount which will impact water chemistry. I would check your water at the tap and compare it to your water in the tank. Are you puttin in water remotely close to the same temperature of the tank as well as that can shock your fish as well.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I recently change their water, I took 50% trying to clean the gravel
hello; There is a way large WC can be stressful. Has to do with pH change. There have been some posts about this on the forum lately. Some of it has to do with source water parameters and another aspect is how much time between a WC.
A simple way to describe it is if enough time passes between a WC then the tank pH can move. A large WC with source water of a different pH can be a source of the stress.

Might be better to do smaller WC ore often. Say a 25% WC two or three times a week in place of one 50+% each week.

Have you gotten the water quality report from the water company? Don't know about Nova Scotia but here in TN (USA) the tap water company prints a report each year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store