NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Originally posted under setup I need help with upgrading the tank for my 15” pleco and his goldfish pal.
tank is cycled (I think) but I’m thinking a tank to tank move- please read the thread here and give me suggestions:

(I added on as a reply re:tank to tank)

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
As a personal rule when setting up a new tank and waiting for it to cycle I test three separate times. Once when the levels are habitable and twice more to be sure. What odor?

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
it’s had a slight.. pond odor. I’m so bad with smells- I don’t know how to describe it. Maybe it’s the algae. The smell seems gone now.

My helper insists The algae is normal (or can be) for the cycle process and
won’t hurt the fish,
b) our pleco & maybe even our goldfish will eat it.

But our big guy is at least 6 years old- everything I’ve read said they usually don’t eat algae after the first few yearsNever algae in our current tank that’s too small but we keep it very clean anyway...

thoughts?
algae is brown and looks like dirt/sand (you can see it better in this pic-b4 I added the rest of the river rock and plants)

We tested twice then, 1x before the water change and again 12 hrs later, I’ll test twice more.
How close in your opinion to the parameters need to be to the old tank to avoid stress and do a “tank to tank” transfer (vs putting them in a bucket on slow drip???

As a personal rule when setting up a new tank and waiting for it to cycle I test three separate times. Once when the levels are habitable and twice more to be sure. What odor?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
You'll want them as close as possible so ammo should be zero nitrite zero and nitrate >5 to >10. I would do a slow drip to further increase the low to no stress transfer

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
How to do a slow drip transfer with someone too big to tolerate the bucket? Water exchange between tanks directly?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i’ve not read all your different posts,

but have a little comfort in your dealing with probably 2 of the most hardy fish... and they are large too...

follow what the folks are recommending...

Reactions: rigby

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Pleco hasn’t moved since the transfer.
Is he ok?

parrthed

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
Charlestown
Is he breathing? Unless something is crazy wrong with the tank, I can’t imagine he wouldn’t be ok. I take regular plecos regularly out of customers ponds, throw them in buckets and coolers then get back the the house and just throw them in the tubs and tanks. Plecos don’t move much especially when put in an new environment. Just make sure he’s breathing, water well oxygenated, and temp is good. Let him settle in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store