Will this tank setup work? Opinions needed!!

Jacob6556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
So this is a follow up from my last post for a great stocking idea for my new 60 gallon tank! My tank has two rock caves, a pot, and two pieces of drift wood. I also have a large filter under the tank and a power head to provide a good current in the water. So my stocking idea I got from my last post that I think I’m going to try out is, 1 Jack Dempsey, a Firemouth cichlid, a convict cichlid, a rainbow shark, and then maybe 8-12 silver dollars!! Do you guys think this tank will would for these fish? Let me know what you think and any tips you have!!

Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So this is a follow up from my last post for a great stocking idea for my new 60 gallon tank! My tank has two rock caves, a pot, and two pieces of drift wood. I also have a large filter under the tank and a power head to provide a good current in the water. So my stocking idea I got from my last post that I think I’m going to try out is, 1 Jack Dempsey, a Firemouth cichlid, a convict cichlid, a rainbow shark, and then maybe 8-12 silver dollars!! Do you guys think this tank will would for these fish? Let me know what you think and any tips you have!!

Thanks
Tbh the length of the aquarium would be a issue for Silver Dollar due to their skittish nature. The Silver Dollar would freak out every time and swim into the aquarium glass. I personally have 4 Silver Dollar's in a 180 gallon 72" long and they zip from side to side very fast but sometime close to bumping into the glass.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I think you would be better off keeping just one topic on stocking this tank so others can see what was suggested previously, especially since the previous topic has pics.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
We all keep telling you the same thing as nice as we can put it: the tank is not large enough for all those fish to share once they're adults.

A pair or group of the convicts or firemouths would work fine. I would just drop the JD from your plans unless you're getting a bigger tank.

SDs need a larger tank than that due to their size and behavior.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
We all keep telling you the same thing as nice as we can put it: the tank is not large enough for all those fish to share once they're adults.

A pair or group of the convicts or firemouths would work fine. I would just drop the JD from your plans unless you're getting a bigger tank.

SDs need a larger tank than that due to their size and behavior.
Agree with this, the tank is too small for that many of those large fish.
A proper size tank for your list together in one tank, would be (minimally) 150 gallons.

Reactions: Niki_up and Jexnell

Jacob6556

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2020
Tbh the length of the aquarium would be a issue for Silver Dollar due to their skittish nature. The Silver Dollar would freak out every time and swim into the aquarium glass. I personally have 4 Silver Dollar's in a 180 gallon 72" long and they zip from side to side very fast but sometime close to bumping into the glass.
So would the rest of the fish be fine in a tank like this? And I just thought silver dollars were good dither fish, so that’s why I included them. What do u think a good dither group of fish would be for this tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So would the rest of the fish be fine in a tank like this? And I just thought silver dollars were good dither fish, so that’s why I included them. What do u think a good dither group of fish would be for this tank?
I personally would just do a group of Firemouth Cichlid and either Buenos Aires Tetra or Livebearer's preferably Swordtails.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I personally would just do a group of Firemouth Cichlid and either Buenos Aires Tetra or Livebearer's preferably Swordtails.
I agree with the above, Firemouths in nature are a social species, doing well in groups of their own kind (not particularly well with other more aggressive cichlids like cons, or JDs), so a shoal with dithers woodwork in that tank. Although SDs are thought to be good dithers, in a tank of that size, they can be skittish, and have the opposite of the desired effect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store