They_Called_Her_Stephy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
I have a 200g tank in the way and still haven't decided on filtration. I have never had a tank this big and am not sure where to go. I am thinking about doing two canisters, but I have no clue about sumps. anyone wanna weigh in and shed some light and drop some tips???

Currently there will be two oscars, a jack dempsey, and and pleco.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 200g tank in the way and still haven't decided on filtration. I have never had a tank this big and am not sure where to go. I am thinking about doing two canisters, but I have no clue about sumps. anyone wanna weigh in and shed some light and drop some tips???

Currently there will be two oscars, a jack dempsey, and and pleco.

Welcome aboard:)

A sump would be my choice they are much easier to maintain. Sump's can be purchased or some members have designed and built their own. Also my choice if I were going to keep a Oscar.

Reactions: Toiletcar

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
There is more info from members just type Sump in the search bar upper right.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
My preference is canisters. My choice of canisters is the Eheim 2262. I am not saying they are better than a sump and I will not say a sump is better than a canister. It is strictly what you prefer.

Reactions: tlindsey

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Having used both Canisters (2 SunSun canisters on one tank earlier) and now having sump, agree that both have their positives and negatives. However, now I feel more inclined to having sump than canisters due to various possibilities to customize and have various media options. And having 200 gallon tank, is ideal to go for sump in my view.

I have put together some basic view summarizing the pros and cons of having Canister vs Sump. Hope it helps.

A Common query - Should I go for a Sump or Canister? - Sump vs Canister

SumpvsCanister.jpg

They_Called_Her_Stephy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Having used both Canisters (2 SunSun canisters on one tank earlier) and now having sump, agree that both have their positives and negatives. However, now I feel more inclined to having sump than canisters due to various possibilities to customize and have various media options. And having 200 gallon tank, is ideal to go for sump in my view.

I have put together some basic view summarizing the pros and cons of having Canister vs Sump. Hope it helps.

A Common query - Should I go for a Sump or Canister? - Sump vs Canister

View attachment 1310351

thank you so much!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have a 55 gallon tank that I turned into a sump for my 220 and I’m so glad I did. I run my smaller tanks off of canisters and HOB’s but I think anything 125 and larger (at least up to the size where the Ultimas are good options) are better off with a sump. My only regret with my sump was not going with a 75 or 90 instead of my 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store